Author Topic: Researching /x lamps  (Read 2091 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Researching /x lamps « on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:10 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hello fine lighting people. I have been fascinated by the rarity of /x lamps, and have only found 2 instances of picture that have any good detail. Does anyone else know any other picture on this or other sites? trying to keep a count of all of found versions on the internet. :) :mvc:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:20:55 PM by Bulbman256 » Logged

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:29 AM » Author: joseph_125
The Canada Science and Technology Museum has a 400w Sylvania "Banner" /X lamp in their collection. Here's a picture of it.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 11:07:28 AM » Author: HPS_250
I’m very interested in researching /X lamps as well. I don’t know of any photos on the internet other than the one from that museum and HomeBrewLamp’s photo.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:46:11 AM » Author: Bulbman256
I’m very interested in researching /X lamps as well. I don’t know of any photos on the internet other than the one from that museum and HomeBrewLamp’s photo.

There is i a photo on Joe Meredith gallery of a 250w /x from another members collection. There are also a few very low quality pictures of them on his streetlight website in the mercury vapor technology section.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 04:19:10 PM » Author: HPS_250
There is i a photo on Joe Meredith gallery of a 250w /x from another members collection. There are also a few very low quality pictures of them on his streetlight website in the mercury vapor technology section.

Cool, I hadn’t seen that! Looks like a Sylvania Banner lamp.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:45:13 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Cool, I hadn’t seen that! Looks like a Sylvania Banner lamp.

Here is the website with the /x lamps

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:15:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
I see two /X lamps on Joe's site.  :o

One is a BT-28 and the other looks to be a BT-46. Must be a very rare lamp.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 11:48:34 PM » Author: HPS_250
I see two /X lamps on Joe's site.  :o

One is a BT-28 and the other looks to be a BT-46. Must be a very rare lamp.

According to some early 1960s Westinghouse lamp catalogs, they actually made 700w /X lamps!  :o

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 01:25:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

According to some early 1960s Westinghouse lamp catalogs, they actually made 700w /X lamps!  :o

Sylvania also made a wide range of /x lamps too. There were even reflector lamps with the /x phosphor.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 02:04:27 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Sylvania also made a wide range of /x lamps too. There were even reflector lamps with the /x phosphor.

Now that would be a find! Anyone else try out making them?

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 02:33:27 PM » Author: joseph_125
Anyone know if GE ever made a /X lamp? I don't think I saw one listed in their catalogues nor have I seen a example of one on here.

Anyway I think I read somewhere that the /X was basically a /C lamp with a special purple coating to boost the red output.

BTW the 700w /X lamps were most famously used in the triple lamp "Hollywood Special" luminaires that used to adorn Hollywood Blvd. In LA. The luminaires were later retrofitted to use 400w MH before being removed in favour of repoduction teardrops.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 05:03:10 PM » Author: Lumex120
Anyone know if GE ever made a /X lamp? I don't think I saw one listed in their catalogues nor have I seen a example of one on here.

Anyway I think I read somewhere that the /X was basically a /C lamp with a special purple coating to boost the red output.

BTW the 700w /X lamps were most famously used in the triple lamp "Hollywood Special" luminaires that used to adorn Hollywood Blvd. In LA. The luminaires were later retrofitted to use 400w MH before being removed in favour of repoduction teardrops.
It's not so much boosting red output as it is reducing other colors like greens and blues. That's why /X lamps are slightly less efficient.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:22:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
It's not so much boosting red output as it is reducing other colors like greens and blues. That's why /X lamps are slightly less efficient.

Yeah and that's why they along with the /W were made obsolete once the /DX lamps were cheap enough to compete. Not sure why /C stuck around though.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 08:23:02 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Did you know that Sylvania’s /X mercury vapor lamps were known as “Truetone” lamps while Westinghouse’s /X mercury vapor lamps were known as “Deluxe White”, which surprised me very much since I expected a different name for those lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Researching /x lamps « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 08:30:54 AM » Author: Bottled lightning
There’s a slightly better picture of the big one here https://myvisittojoemaurathjrs.weebly.com/2014-visit-part-1.html  along with what looks like a medium based BT lamp?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies