Author Topic: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ?  (Read 9269 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 09:43:40 AM » Author: Medved
You might not have got an electrical shock yourself, but I bet you were mentally shocked at seeing it happen,! :o :poof: @-@

To be honest, it scares me way more thinking about it now, what tye outcome could have been, than it did the 24 (? - the time is flying) years ago when it actually happened (back then for me it was just a laughter an wondering why the boss looked so scared, young, careless just past-teen...). But I do remember it very well... :-)

No more selfballasted c***

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 09:55:35 AM » Author: alexd120
I got shocked by a washing machine. I was pull the plug out of the wall and touched the prongs

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:08 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I got shocked by a washing machine. I was pull the plug out of the wall and touched the prongs
That's why here in the UK we have sleeved pins, so that the metal part is not accessible when they are in contact with the actual live parts of the socket.  :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 04:27:09 PM » Author: Bulbman256
That's why here in the UK we have sleeved pins, so that the metal part is not accessible when they are in contact with the actual live parts of the socket.  :poof:

We play the dangerous game here! :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 04:32:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We play the dangerous game here! :lol:
So did we up until 1987 when legislation came in banning them from being sold. But they're still found on older appliances over 3 decades later.!  :poof:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 04:38:35 PM » Author: Bulbman256
So did we up until 1987 when legislation came in banning them from being sold. But they're still found on older appliances over 3 decades later.!  :poof:

Regulations? Who needs silly regulations! :lol: :DeAtH: I will say your modern plugs are nice, unless you step your foot on them, must hurt! :o :curse:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 04:43:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Regulations? Who needs silly regulations! :lol: :DeAtH: I will say your modern plugs are nice, unless you step your foot on them, must hurt! :o :curse:
I totally agree, with the design of plug we have here, you have to try really hard to touch the live parts when pulling a plug out of a socket.  :poof:
And trust me it really hurts when you step on one.!!!!   :curse: :curse: :curse:  >:( >:( >:( :curse: :curse: :curse:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 05:50:28 PM » Author: Rommie
If you think treading on a plug hurts (and yes, it does  ;D) wait until you tread on this  :poof: :poof: :poof:  :curse: :curse: :curse:  :o :o :o

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:04 PM » Author: Bulbman256
If you think treading on a plug hurts (and yes, it does  ;D) wait until you tread on this  :poof: :poof: :poof:  :curse: :curse: :curse:  :o :o :o

Oh dear god no! :o :poof: @-@ >:D I have stepped on lego before but this is a new brand of evil. >:D

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 06:01:41 PM » Author: Medved
I totally agree, with the design of plug we have here, you have to try really hard to touch the live parts when pulling a plug out of a socket.  :poof:
And trust me it really hurts when you step on one.!!!!   :curse: :curse: :curse:  >:( >:( >:( :curse: :curse: :curse:

Well, we may have bare metal prongs and yet there is no way you could touch them while still connected, include plug being only partially in the socket. So no need for such huge crazy shapes, that like to penetrate your feet when stepping on it.
The beauty of recessed socket, with simple to make so robust round contacts, with a rim around the plug. Only the plugs that aren't filling the recess (so you may touch the pins), the pins must be sleeved. But these are used only for low currents (below 2.5A) and for class II devices (so no grounding required), so not that big deal, they are then pretty flat.

But I was amazed, how easy it was with the US plugs to touch them when live (even a falling dinnerware knife may easily cause short circuit), when seing them first time...

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 06:36:38 PM » Author: Rommie
Our system requires fused plugs, so making them smaller would be difficult. . I can understand why people from other countries may feel differently, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I'm not going to argue.

But then I'm probably biased, I've lived with them and used them all my life and I think they're the safest plugs in the world  :bulbman:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 09:33:57 PM » Author: Econolite03
One time years ago, I accidentally touched a live wire (120V) when trying to troubleshoot a malfunctioning 3-way switch with the power on (the person I was with didn’t shut the power off). The current felt like it was vibrating rapidly, and was moving through my finger, so let go. In the end I was fine, and the 3-way switch was repaired and works today.

Remember, always flip the breaker before performing troubleshooting.

UPDATE: I own a Ideal voltage tester, and now I do my own electrical work (as I plan to be a licenced electrician), taking the necessary safety precautions.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:14:19 PM by Econolite03 » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 04:29:53 AM » Author: Medved

And always assume it is still electrified, even when the braker has been switched off, until you prove it otherwise by test. It quite often happens to be a "wrong breaker"...

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 07:54:31 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
One time years ago, I accidentally touched a live wire (120V) when trying to troubleshoot a malfunctioning 3-way switch with the power on (the person I was with didn’t shut the power off). The current felt like it was vibrating rapidly, and was moving through my finger, so let go. In the end I was fine, and the 3-way switch was repaired and works today.

Always check yourself that the power is off, never rely on somebody else doing it, they might have not done it, or tripped the wrong breaker.  :o :poof:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 08:42:48 AM » Author: Rommie
Always check yourself that the power is off, never rely on somebody else doing it, they might have not done it, or tripped the wrong breaker.  :o :poof:
Not only that, make sure that the power cannot be switched back on. Many breakers have a means by which you can attach a small padlock to them to prevent this. At the very least, put a large label on the breaker panel saying WORK IN PROGRESS, DO NOT SWITCH ON.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies