Author Topic: How do you listen to music?  (Read 1335 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
How do you listen to music? « on: December 07, 2020, 01:46:33 AM » Author: joseph_125
Similar to the what genre of music you listen to thread but this time what formats do you use to listen to music?

I personally use a few different formats, I have a turntable and a mix of vintage and modern records that I listen to. I use Spotify for music on the go or when I just only want to put on a few songs. Finally I have a few cassettes I recorded with some mixes of songs that I like to listen to. I also have a component CD player and some CDs but I find that gets the least amount of use.

Likewise I do have a bluetooth speaker by I rarely use it compared to using the stereo system. I've never been much a fan of headphones, tried earbuds and over the ear ones but never really liked them that much. I do prefer over ear more though.
WigWag
Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 02:30:08 PM » Author: WigWag
I miss my dad's old stereo with the turntable and equalizer, you just can't replicate the sound of vinyl. So, I usually go with cds, I grew up as they were really getting popular over records and cassettes. Some recordings are really spectacular with the right headphones, which I prefer against today's little stereo speakers. My dad's cabinet speakers rumbled your ribs!  ;D
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:37:39 PM » Author: Rommie
We normally listen to CD's, as that's what we have most of. We do have some vinyl, which is definitely preferred  :bulbman:

Occasionally we listen to the radio, but less frequently these days, mostly when we're travelling, when we usually have Classic FM on  8)

Here is our home audio setup.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:13:22 PM » Author: Ash
When working on the PC, media player program and mp3's or Youtube

Mostly in headphones as i dont like noise pollution and dont want to make it for others. When i want it to be heard, whatever speaker system is available - From some fairly simple 2.1 set (which i got second hand for free) on the PC, hacked together speaker and amplifier (out of a TDA chip on a board) which i made many years ago, and up to PA systems on occasions when i plugged in the laptop
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:03:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
None of these cheezy little bluetooth speakers or other cheap wimpy little things for me...
I've got a real stereo system in the bedroom(nothing fancy or high-end though), & one in the familyroom, & a pair of speakers for the patio as well... plus its all connected, so anything played through the bedroom stereo can also go to the others.

As far as formats, usually CD, sometimes MP3(computer is connected directly to the stereo), and sometimes radio(HD FM stations that don't have commercials).

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 09:28:38 PM » Author: Binarix128
Because I don't have high fidelity physical format players I mostly listen to the FM radio that I listen through my old school boombox, which is the closest to CD or tape quality, but sadly that's changing, most radios are migrating to the cheap low quality YouTube-ish 128Kbps ACC for cut costs to keep broadcasting massively produced music cheaper, sacrificing a lot of quality, some decent radios that broadcast cultured music broadcast in a very good CD audio quality, because they prefer quality over quantity, so I mostly stick to them. When I listen to Chillhop I use my MP3 player connected to a speaker trough aux cable, because it is some sort of lo-fi music I don't mind playing it at 128Kbps MP3, Chillhop sells vinyls of their music but I don't think it's any better than the MP3 because of the way the music is.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 09:45:26 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Adblocker, headphones, and lots of re uploaded albums on youtube. :mrg: :police: >:D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 11:32:18 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
I’ve got an older marantz receiver from the 70’s that I use for listening to the radio and my records. Unfortunetly, the power switch is broken so that it won’t latch, so I push a mercury ballast up against it when I want to use it. :) I also listen to music on my phone,  or on youtube, mostly old big band music and jazz from the 20’s to the 40’s. Since the fidelity of these recordings isn’t great to begin with, I can’t imagine the youtube compression making it much worse.

One of these days I’m going to start building vacuum tube radios with old parts I have. Messing around with vintage electronics is my other hobby, which often works against my lighting interest since I end up buying radio i.f. transformers instead of lamps.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: How do you listen to music? « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 06:47:42 PM » Author: Cole D.
It depends, at home I either listen to music from YouTube in another window if I'm on the computer. Or else I play CDs sometimes of different songs, mostly burned CDs.

Sometimes if I'm laying in bed, I listen to Pandora on my phone via headphones. I used to use wired earbuds, but since I got my new phone, I use Bluetooth headphones.

In the car, I usually listen to FM or sometimes play Pandora on my phone over the Bluetooth in my car.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies