Author Topic: LPS vs Cold weather  (Read 816 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
LPS vs Cold weather « on: December 08, 2020, 09:48:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
How does SOX do in cold weather conditions? I know SOX is similar to fluorescent lamps and they have a rough time in the cold. my home brew fixture is currently in service above the outside door and I'm curious how it'll perform in a Michigan winter.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 10:24:42 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm not sure about this, but the man who would know is James, fire off a PM to him asking about it.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:00:09 PM » Author: Medved
The LPS are similar to fluorescents in being low pressure, but they still run way hotter.
Plus unlike the fluorescents, the major way the arctube looses heat is thermal radiation, way less influenced by the colder side temperature (heat transfer is proportional to T^4), so I would not expect any issue once the lamp has ignited.
However igniting it at cold could be completely different story. Many LPS are just marginal regarding their ignition (a bit of internal cleanup affecting the Penning mixture and the lamp refuses to start), so I would expect some problems mainly with the peak ignition voltage requirement vs what the ballast is actually able to deliver.

Fluorescents have problems due to both effects: Hard to start and then too cold to reach full brightness. But at least the LPS arctubes are clean in a vacuum, so they don't suffer from the external dirt and moisture.

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 01:04:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
So something to increase the starting temperature, like an incandescent bulb might help to raise it until ignition is achieved then switch it off.  :wndr:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 01:23:44 PM » Author: Medved
So something to increase the starting temperature, like an incandescent bulb might help to raise it until ignition is achieved then switch it off.  :wndr:

Indeed, it may help it. Even by another effect: Providing excitation light for some photo emission, lowering the breakdown voltage by having there more free electrons available in the arctube.
But using an higher ignition voltage ignitor or ballast is usually the method of choice, as it does not need to mess with extra socket and lamp.
Plus it will take quite some time to warm up the LPS arctube through the all the thermal insulation it has around when using just an external heat source...

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 01:24:56 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
T'was but an idea.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 03:49:07 PM » Author: Medved
T'was but an idea.

And Iwas caught on it to elaborate what I expect to happen...

Coolc1234

View Posts
View Gallery

Street_lights_usa
Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:06:14 PM » Author: Coolc1234
I don’t know lol you’ll have to ask someone from Flagstaff,AZ

Led street lights are the new aliens!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS vs Cold weather « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:46:38 AM » Author: Medved
I don’t know lol you’ll have to ask someone from Flagstaff,AZ

Is Flagstaff really that cold? I didn't got tat impression when being there the few times I was traveling around: November and it was around 25degC (2003 if I remember the year well; then I was in that area in the September and then August a few years later).

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies