Author Topic: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting?  (Read 12743 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #75 on: December 27, 2021, 04:38:53 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It is also good to know that another misconception that I understand about lighting is that some people will say that some HID and fluorescent lamps will ONLY WORK in certain countries and NOT WORK in others due to the domestic mains voltage differences. This is a fundamentally wrong assumption to make about HID and fluorescent lamps because all a HID and a fluorescent needs to run properly is a proper OCV for sustaining the arc, a reliable starting mechanism, and a ballast that will run the lamp at its correct current at an appropriate frequency.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #76 on: July 09, 2022, 02:45:44 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Another thing that I notice lots of people getting wrong is that Japanese market fluorescent tubes marked “FL40SS(color temperature)/37” are often assumed to draw 40 watts of energy. Instead, they actually draw 37 watts instead to save energy according to a Japanese Panasonic 2021-2022 lamp catalog.

Here are some examples of such Japanese 37 watt fluorescent tubes that are wrongfully assumed to draw 40 watts of power:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0&pid=111092

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-63068
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:49:00 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #77 on: July 09, 2022, 04:19:54 PM » Author: Molly
How LEDs can cause optical light damage and interfere with the human circadian rhythm, causing abnormal sleep cycles.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #78 on: July 09, 2022, 04:22:25 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
No misconception about the sleep patterns, we had to put up a blackout blind so that we could sleep.!  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #79 on: July 09, 2022, 08:00:02 PM » Author: Molly
I heard about it according to scientists but it blinds me like heck at night as well.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #80 on: July 09, 2022, 09:06:12 PM » Author: xelareverse
For my job I work on street lighting. Based off of my discussions with people, a lot of people think that street lights draw thousands of watts each and are fed off of primary lines. Most people are very surprised to hear that most of them can plug into a wall outlet and work off of mains power.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #81 on: July 09, 2022, 11:04:16 PM » Author: Burrito
Wow, you work on street lighting? That's awesome!

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #82 on: July 09, 2022, 11:28:57 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The one I've heard a lot is that LED's don't attract bugs . Completely and totally not true !! While they don't attract as many as say Incandescent or HID , they STILL DO attract bugs !

Near the bottom of the linked article , It plainly says "LED lights do not attract bugs"  https://www.bugtech.com/do-led-lights-attract-bugs/ Obviously , the author of the linked article hasn't been on my front porch at night !!  :eoled:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #83 on: July 10, 2022, 12:03:39 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I guess it's true to a extent but a lot of people think cobraheads run on higher voltages and require special power when a good number of them are 120v.

It's usually only the highway and newer parking lot lights that are 347v or 480v. I suppose it might go back to the old days when series circuits of a few kV were the norm for streetlighting.

Yup, I have a LED in my LM Spherolite and it still gets enough bugs for me to have to wash the globe annually. Even with bug lights, they should say attracts bugs less compared to don't attract bugs. 
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #84 on: July 10, 2022, 03:04:04 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe that part of the reason that some people believe that HID lighting would require a higher mains voltage higher than 120v would be due to the fact that most mercury vapor lamps were originally intended to be used on 220v-240v mains using a simple series choke ballast.

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #85 on: July 14, 2022, 08:16:28 AM » Author: xelareverse
Here's another one I've heard. This is related specifically to Detroit's street lighting system.   I've heard many people say that downtown is wired underground and that the converted the rest of the city to overhead wiring due to wiring thefts.  It's definitely not true. There are plenty of areas outside of downtown Detroit that are still wired underground.

Another one is about the General Electric M250R.  There were 2 generations of M250R.  The 1st one that most people refer to as the M-250. And the 2nd that everybody calls the M-250R1.  They were both called the M-250R, however sometime through the production of the 2nd generation it was then changed to the Mdefects.

Or the American electric Autobahns turning purple, everybody knows the crazy conspiracy theories.  I've also heard people say that it's to stop people from doing drugs on the street. The truth is it's just the phosphor coming off of the LED diode. Manufacturing defect. Or another one I hear, that LED street lights are terrible because they are sensitive to power surges. Pretty much any LED street light from the last 10 years is gonna have a surge protector.  I've seen them where a primary line falls down to the secondary and they still work afterwards.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #86 on: July 22, 2022, 08:33:20 PM » Author: 108CAM
I used to think that the red NEMA twist lock photocells used in Australia were the red warning LEDs used for streetlights in New York.
For a short time, I thought LPS was a type of HID lamp.
I also thought that BLB tubes were the type used in bug zappers and BL tubes were the ones with a black phosphor coating. It's pretty easy to see why I made this mistake.
Another misconception is with the colour rendering of SOX. Lots of people don't know that they aren't truly monochromatic. This is because some of the emitted wavelengths are invisible to the human eye and we see it as monochromatic.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #87 on: July 27, 2022, 11:14:23 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
How LEDs can cause optical light damage and interfere with the human circadian rhythm, causing abnormal sleep cycles.
While this may be true, cooler light does help keep drivers alert, reducing the risk of an accident due to tiredness at the wheel.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #88 on: July 27, 2022, 11:31:14 PM » Author: Burrito
For a time, I thought that Mercury Vapor was the only light source

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #89 on: July 29, 2022, 09:16:30 PM » Author: 108CAM
This is an example of when someone reads the wrong markings to determine the voltage and wattage of the light.
The person I bought my Holophane 175w MV canopy lights from had them listed as 600v fixtures that took a 1500w lamp. These figures are actually the electrical specifications for the E40 lampholder, not the actual specifications of the fixture which are 240v 175w.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies