Author Topic: Color of the ballast  (Read 2205 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Color of the ballast « on: April 28, 2009, 08:01:18 PM » Author: dor123
It is true that the color of the ballast (black or white) affects its temperature?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Color of the ballast « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:06 PM » Author: SeanB~1
If it is an enclosed ballast colour will barely affect the temperature of the ballast, provided the paint films are the same thickness. Outdoors the darker ballast will get hotter during the day, but at night it will be the same temperature, as most paints are pretty much equal emitters in the infrared wavelengths.

A matt surface is somewhat better at radiating heat, but this really is not going to have any effect on a ballast that is mostly cooled by convection to the surrounding air, either directly or though it's mounting surfaces.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Color of the ballast « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:48 PM » Author: Medved
I think the ballast should never reach the temperature, where radiation would make any significant heat transfer. Mostly (at least on EU ballasts) the color is pure visual look thing (e.g. Philips being gray). Sometimes, the color is chosen so, it visually mask out things like rust or thermal browning, so such ballast "look better then other" after long term use, making the impression of better quality.
Sometimes the color is only the natural property of the material used for ballast environment protection. E.g. some fine sand might be used to increase thermal conductivity of the coating layer, so it might be thicker, so resist longer to the water. So then the color of the sand used will influence the final ballast look.

No more selfballasted c***

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Color of the ballast « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:11 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Now that you say it I wonder, since white reflects heat and black absorbs heat...hmmmm

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Color of the ballast « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:53:01 PM » Author: Medved
Now that you say it I wonder, since white reflects heat and black absorbs heat...hmmmm

Yes and no...
How it behaves in visible spectrum (so what color do we see) is not as important, as these things are way too cold, to have anything to do with radiation here.
And if it is "white" or "black" in IR area, where it does matter, does not much depend on what is the color in visible part of spectrum. So something, what appear black to our eyes might be easily "white" in IR and vice versa...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies