Author Topic: Denon DRW-585 cassette deck record input  (Read 767 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Denon DRW-585 cassette deck record input « on: December 25, 2020, 07:52:48 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Today I got a Denon DRW-585 dual auto reverse cassette deck. I really love it, but before I try recording from an outside source, I want to confirm one thing: the owner's manual says that the record input can handle max 80 millivolts. Is this just warning against creating distortion or is it possible to damage the recording circuit by putting in more than 80 mV?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Denon DRW-585 cassette deck record input « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:16:15 AM » Author: Medved
It is to limit distortion artifacts. There is no way any voltage below 5Vpp would do any damage even with very bad design (the Veb breakdown voltage of practically all transistors is above 5V, include those within ICs). Reasonable designs could handle 100'sV peak, given the time is short enough to not overheat the input series resistors. The active component then usually have diode clamps on their inputs. And there the 80mVcame from: To be far enough from a voltage, where these protection diodes start to conduct...

No more selfballasted c***

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Denon DRW-585 cassette deck record input « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 11:51:22 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
It is to limit distortion artifacts. There is no way any voltage below 5Vpp would do any damage even with very bad design (the Veb breakdown voltage of practically all transistors is above 5V, include those within ICs). Reasonable designs could handle 100'sV peak, given the time is short enough to not overheat the input series resistors. The active component then usually have diode clamps on their inputs. And there the 80mVcame from: To be far enough from a voltage, where these protection diodes start to conduct...
Thank you! I will do a test recording later.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies