Author Topic: SOX 35w Fulham WH3 D2D updates  (Read 4122 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

SOX 35w Fulham WH3 D2D updates « on: December 26, 2020, 01:35:35 PM » Author: 589
Since proper SOX gear here in the US is very difficult to find I have been experimenting with the instant start Fulham Workhorse ballasts for a while now. I have been using a Beta 5 that I have equipped with such a ballast for D2D use. it has been over a year now and here is what it looks like. I am concerned about the dimples not containing any sodium, and sodium condensing behind the lower electrode. I have no experience on the wear patterns of these lamps, soI thought it wise to ask the community.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 06:24:27 AM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 01:41:06 PM » Author: 589
Here may be a better pic.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 01:47:50 PM » Author: Rommie
I've got a few old lamps where the sodium seems to have deserted the dimples, but they still run ok. If there's any sodium behind the electrodes, run the lamp vertically cap up for a while, and it should drop down to safety.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 02:18:25 PM » Author: 589
Good to know :). In the meantime I swapped which end was up. I also polished and coated the bowl with meguiar’s headlight coating for the bowl to withstand the hot sun here.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 10:39:59 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Here may be a better pic.

I'm curious how you found a SOX-PSG lamp lol. I have been wanting a SOX-PSG lamp for some time now.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 04:58:55 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have managed to run a 35w SOX lamp at about 0.55a on a 35/39w MH magnetic ballast using a Venture SOX ignitor.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 06:24:00 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm curious how you found a SOX-PSG lamp lol. I have been wanting a SOX-PSG lamp for some time now.
They're around, just not all that common. The dedicated gear for them is even harder to find  :-\ :a_sox:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 07:39:12 AM » Author: 589

Truth be told, I happened upon a case of them a while back. Which is why I’m ok running them full time D2D. It’s also an experiment for everyone to see if these WH ballasts still allow the lamps full life expectancy.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 12:37:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: 589
It’s also an experiment for everyone to see if these WH ballasts still allow the lamps full life expectancy. 
I'm deff interested in seeing how they do on a WH ballast.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 10:25:03 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm coming late to this thread, and my first thought was that Ria tries to avoid running at all, never mind hard...  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 10:30:21 AM » Author: Rommie
It's a good job I daren't slap you  :mrg:  :love:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 08:18:40 PM » Author: 589
Mercy!

:colorbulb:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:53:30 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Mercy!

:colorbulb:

Nah, just a recent embargo on slaps...... :mrg: :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 08:37:31 PM » Author: 589
Just an update. The lamp has started to flash on and off at a 1hz rate roughly during startup. This has started to get longer and longer over the last two weeks before it catches and stays lit. Right now its taking almost two minutes. I think the lamp is worn down enough the WH3 is having trouble starting it. I’m going to try and get the lamp out tomorrow and see what it looks like and post some pics. I will admit I was hoping to get more than 3 years D2D…
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:02:29 AM by 589 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: SOX 35w running too hard? « Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 08:51:14 PM » Author: Rommie
In the pictures you showed earlier, the lamp did look a bit the worse for wear, but if there's emitter on the electrodes they'll usually start, unless all the argon has been adsorbed, which is unlikely with newer lamps. Could well be the ballast, but I'll be interested to see how the lamp looks, and if a new lamp starts ok.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies