Author Topic: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures?  (Read 2655 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « on: January 02, 2021, 07:25:15 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am wondering if anyone knows of any US public buildings that were built in the 1910s, 1920s, or 1930s that still have their original interior light fixtures still in use such as schoolhouse pendants, duplexalite pendants, acorn pendants or brascolite pendants? I am curious about this because I really like the appearance of these old fixtures in public buildings and would love to explore such buildings for their lighting. I am specifically looking for buildings from that era that have not had any major renovations in which any original interior light fixtures were removed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 07:29:03 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:52:13 AM » Author: takemorepills
I've worked in this building, it was remodeled a few year back and all of the light fixtures are original, except for the front lot.

Interior: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seattle_King_Street_Station_Inside.jpg

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:26:44 AM » Author: joseph_125
College park (built 1930) in Toronto still has some of the original pendant luminaires from when it opened as a department store in 1930.

Historical picture Modern day picture

The luminaires have been retrofitted from incandescent to HID and now to LED though.

Central Tech. High School (built 1915) in Toronto still appears to have some older luminaires in the lobby.

Danforth Tech. High School (built 1923) had some schoolhouse luminaires in the corridors. However, they were removed during renovations following a fire.

I think a lot of older school buildings in Toronto still have some original luminaires. However as they're not open to the public, it is rare to find pictures of the interior online.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:28:15 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 12:17:32 PM » Author: alexd120
The oldest building I've seen was from 1950 with the original light fixtures and plumbing fixtures

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:40:46 PM » Author: icefoglights
Here is a picture I took in an old schoolhouse in western Michigan.  The light isn't technically original to the building, as the building was built in 1867 and used oil lanterns until electricity came to the area, but the light was put up when electricity was connected, and has remained up ever sense.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 05:08:19 PM » Author: nogden
Here's one I took for you. Not the most exciting but is original to the building that was built around 1919!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:26:39 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So far, I know of an art museum in Ontario, California that was built in 1937 and still has a decent number of schoolhouse fixtures still in use. Does anyone know of other buildings from the 1920s or 1930s that still have their original schoolhouse fixtures still in use?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 100 year old buildings that still have their original interior light fixtures? « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 08:00:34 AM » Author: nogden
So far, I know of an art museum in Ontario, California that was built in 1937 and still has a decent number of schoolhouse fixtures still in use. Does anyone know of other buildings from the 1920s or 1930s that still have their original schoolhouse fixtures still in use?

Yeah, the school where I work still has a few in closets that were never changed out. For some reason, they've all lost their globes over the years, though.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies