Author Topic: LED or HPS ?  (Read 3170 times)
osramlight_200

View Posts
View Gallery

osramlight_200

LED or HPS ? « on: January 22, 2021, 06:13:55 AM » Author: osramlight_200
 Which one is better? What do you think?

I can speak a little English, sometimes i translate because i don't speak English.While this is not my intention, please apologize if the choice i chose in my words seems offensive.
 :a_son-t:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 06:55:13 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For me it has to be HPS.

It's well known on here that I dislike L*D.  >:(
But there is another reason that I will always prefer HPS over L*D, and that is the colour temperature that's used  :curse:
My eyes cannot cope with it, unless there is a significant amount of light coming out of it I have difficulty seeing.  :'(
And by significant amount, I mean what comes down from the sun during the day.  8)
On very dull days I have problems seeing clearly.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:10:53 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Krep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:47:32 PM » Author: Krep
Of course Hps.Hps have more advantages than Led. 1.less glare than Led, 2.color tempature which helps to see in fog,3. less pollution than led because at EOL you just replace bulb other than whole fixture, 4.cheaper than led, 5. some bulbs is nearly as efficient or more efficient than led like Osram Nav-t Super XT and list goes on. :hps:
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 05:59:37 PM » Author: Medved
How do you define "better"?
Lumen*hour/dollar? The HPS seems to be still winning, mainly for medium to higher power (6klm and up). Cheap, still quite efficient optics possible with the low budget, quite long life (4 years life schedule for <2% failure rate without need for unplanned spot servicing proven in real life; older LEDs are far from that and the newer supposedly more reliable models have yet to prove something).

Energy consumption (for a given area and intensity) alone? LED wins. But for high power the difference is so small it won't offset the cost and unproven (or straight bad, in case of older models) reliability, wouldn' there be the other benefits like the color and control ability (does not to be kept on or at that power when the light is not necessary even for rather short periods of time), but that asks for extra equipment investment.

Color quality? LED wins, although at high power levels the MH get that cheaper.

Possibility to scale the output down to just the needed level? LED wins, its cost scales down with power, while the efficacy remains rather constant. Unlike tge HIDs, where the cost is constant and efficacy drops down as the power rating gets lower.

Moron (makers, installers,...) infestation of the industry? LED looses in very big. LEDs are so inherently robust those morons get away with their stupidity in bad fixture, lantern or installation designs, making those installations so awfull many people start hate LEDs just due to those. Plus the industry is carrying a lot of hype, attracting scumbags that want to just make quick money and disappear. HID does not carry the hype and tends to blow into your face immediately if you do something stupid, so filters out all the morons so prevent them from screwing the lights or installations up that much.

No more selfballasted c***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 12:27:55 PM » Author: Cole D.
It depends. I like the warm, mellow tone of HPS lighting. But color wise and for less shadowy light on roadways, I think LED does work well. One set of HPS fixtures near my house was changed to LED and it makes a big difference in color rendition.

As for the fixtures themselves, I will always like HPS more than LED I think, in most cases.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 01:18:57 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
To me, colour rendition is right at the bottom of the requirements for street lighting.
Being able to see clearly is up at the top, and for that reason white light doesn't work for me at all.  :(

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 03:19:49 PM » Author: Jovan
Which one is better? What do you think?
HPS,due to its good light spectrum.HPS lamps have nice warm color and have nice light output in harsh conditions like fog,dust.Glare is low.
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 06:22:46 AM » Author: LightsDelight
For general use, I like LED. I love discharge lighting but I keep them for the collection. LEDs now are getting better and better its a shame that some people are jumping on the LED hate bandwagon which ends up giving the good ones with a bad reputation. It is that a lot of them are cheap models from eBay they can last a very long time if done correctly, I will bet that some LEDs will outlast myself. For what is installed on the roads and etc I couldn't care less as all the fittings that have been replaced with LED are virtually all in my collection. It is rather wasteful for them to just throw them out if they are only recent but if the are over 20 years old then it is fine by me as they have lived their life, instead of landfill they could at least recycle all of the materials out of them. The LEDs that have been popping up here are very capable lights even beating the 80W MV that it replaced on my street and even a new 80W MV was no match for what it replaced. The ones that are getting rolled out here have slightly better optics as they are aeroscreen so they limit the spill.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 07:27:35 AM » Author: Rommie
Well all I can say is you're the lucky one. The cheap crap they have installed around here doesn't light the street half as well as the perfectly good HPS lamps that they ripped out. Not only is the colour of the light awful (white light is NOT the best colour for street lighting) but the light from these things is so poor that we are not comfortable going out at night any more  :(

Also, as Sammi said, the colour is such that she cannot see properly under it, due to her poor eyesight  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

The Cooper OVX

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 05:14:14 PM » Author: The Cooper OVX
Well, I have to say HPS for the Aesthetics and I do miss it a little bit however, LED is better for the environment as it consumes less energy and is more efficient than HPS so scientifically, LED is better but Aesthetically, HPS is better. LED is also better on our eyes at night because it is more in line with our nighttime vision but HPS is good on our daytime vision. LED is also longer lasting as it lasts for over 15 years compared to HPS which lasts only 6 years.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:19:15 PM by The Cooper OVX » Logged

Common HPS fixture in many cities. slowly being phased out.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 05:22:01 PM » Author: Jovan
Well, I have to say HPS for the Aesthetics and I do miss it a little bit however, LED is better for the environment as it consumes less energy and is more efficient than HPS so scientifically, LED is better but Aesthetically, HPS is better. LED is also better on our eyes at night because it is more in line with our nighttime vision but HPS is good on our daytime vision. LED is also longer lasting as it lasts for over 15 years compared to HPS which lasts only 6 years.
Power consumpiton of sodium lamps can be reduced using electronic ballasts,if they exist.White sodium can be also used for outdoors.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:45:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'll state my position on the argument again.
For me, and probably quite a few other people, seeing clearly under the light emitted from L*D street lights is nearly impossible, I have poor night vision, so anything that is designed to mimic that just does not work.  :curse: >:(

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:31:54 PM » Author: Binarix128

"LED is better for the enviroment". Not really, I would say. First of all, most LED streetlight installations I've seen, consume almost the same power as the original setup, at least more than half of the original power, and so there will be more unnecesary light, and so more light contamination which draws light following insects, affecting the nearby ecosistems, by either reducing the food (insects) aviable or by reducing the pollinization.

Even if the whole planet goes LED, the total CO2 savings would barely round the 1%, which will fastly compensate by the increasing demand and constant supply of LEDs. The manufacturing process demands tons of energy and waste generating precesses. And not only CO2, the EOL LEDs and the manufacturing wastes needs to go somewhere, which is likely to be a river or a wasteland somewhere in Africa where it will burned, so you will not only get more CO2 but heavy metals and many toxic substances.

Althought the LED emmition is in line with our peak reception, so more efficient, this results in faster eye tireness compared to HPS, plus the fact that there's more light. Eye tireness in the road can be dangerous.

"LED is also longer lasting as it lasts for over 15 years compared to HPS which lasts only 6 years." Not really, I would say. Most HPS fixtures has been lasting for at least 15 years over here, while I've seen failing LEDs just installed 3 years ago.
alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:12:25 PM » Author: alexd120
I prefer HBS over LED.

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED or HPS ? « Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 06:12:34 AM » Author: Jovan
"LED is better for the enviroment". Not really, I would say. First of all, most LED streetlight installations I've seen, consume almost the same power as the original setup, at least more than half of the original power, and so there will be more unnecesary light, and so more light contamination which draws light following insects, affecting the nearby ecosistems, by either reducing the food (insects) aviable or by reducing the pollinization.

Even if the whole planet goes LED, the total CO2 savings would barely round the 1%, which will fastly compensate by the increasing demand and constant supply of LEDs. The manufacturing process demands tons of energy and waste generating precesses. And not only CO2, the EOL LEDs and the manufacturing wastes needs to go somewhere, which is likely to be a river or a wasteland somewhere in Africa where it will burned, so you will not only get more CO2 but heavy metals and many toxic substances.

Althought the LED emmition is in line with our peak reception, so more efficient, this results in faster eye tireness compared to HPS, plus the fact that there's more light. Eye tireness in the road can be dangerous.

"LED is also longer lasting as it lasts for over 15 years compared to HPS which lasts only 6 years." Not really, I would say. Most HPS fixtures has been lasting for at least 15 years over here, while I've seen failing LEDs just installed 3 years ago.
This is the most argumented answer ever.So true.I've seen lamps near me which are 30 years old and still work well.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies