Author Topic: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..?  (Read 2510 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « on: January 22, 2021, 06:28:39 PM » Author: Rommie
I've just acquired a 6.6A series incandescent lamp made by Osram, and I'm wondering the best way to go about lighting it. I know relatively little about incandescent series street lighting, as I'm not aware of it ever being used in any areas of the UK that I am familiar with, but I know it was popular in the US.

Is there a safe voltage I could use on the Variac or would I need some form of current limiting device..?

Thanks in advance,

Ria  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 06:40:12 PM » Author: LightsDelight
If you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance and use the ohms law formula: V=I*R.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:51:31 PM » Author: Xytrell
If you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance and use the ohms law formula: V=I*R.

NO

Coil resistance changes DRAMATICALLY with its temperature. If you don't know the nominal voltage, Use a variable autotransformer and increase the voltage until the current reads 6.6A.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:00:36 PM » Author: Rommie
Thanks, that was good advice. I ran it on the Variac with the multimeter as an ammeter and it got up to 7V, probably around 6.6V..! Doesn't seem like a lot, but then I suppose with lots of lamps all in series it adds up.

Very interesting, I have learnt something today  :bulbman:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:40 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It was wonderful to see it lit  8) :bulbman:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 05:30:53 PM » Author: Medved
It was wonderful to see it lit  8) :bulbman:

Do you have a picture of it?

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 05:40:45 PM » Author: Rommie
Do you have a picture of it?
We do, see here:  unlit and lit  :bulbman:

rlshieldjr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 12:59:47 PM » Author: rlshieldjr
I've lit series lamps on a car battery charger w both 6 and 12 volts. Also added a 12 volt battery in series for 18 or 24 volts.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to light a single 6.6A series incandescent lamp..? « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 01:43:46 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, I've got two or three of them in series on the Variac now. It's an interesting concept, we never had it here.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies