Author Topic: Need help with a streetlight identification  (Read 2943 times)
Sox58

View Posts
View Gallery

Need help with a streetlight identification « on: January 26, 2021, 09:40:14 AM » Author: Sox58
Hi Guys,

I have an old American Electric street light that used to work and now does not.

I am trying to identify it and determine what is wrong and if I am using the correct bulb in it. I cannot find a model number on it.

Let me know what you think, thank you.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 11:53:32 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Thats a 250w mh lamp being used on what looks like a 175w mv nema head, if you have a 175w lamp use that and see if it strikes. :wndr:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 01:17:16 PM » Author: alexd120
There's a local volunteer fire department with a similar light with the same bulb inside of it. It lights off but it's dim the other side of the building has the same fixture with its original bulb

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Sox58

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 01:58:26 PM » Author: Sox58

Thank you!

I have a 175W MV! bulb, Will try it.
Sox58

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:49:50 AM » Author: Sox58
Thats a 250w mh lamp being used on what looks like a 175w mv nema head, if you have a 175w lamp use that and see if it strikes. :wndr:

Sadly it did not fire up with a brand new MV 175w bulb.

I had tested the fuse and it had continuity even though both ends of the fuse seemed loose.

Is there a troubleshooting guide somewhere on here for that type of light?
I'm not even sure how to take it apart to test the components.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:38 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
This is (I think) a AE Series 11. That being said, there are around 6 different single voltages it could be intended for, or it may be able to run on several different voltages, but you would have to connect some of the wires in a certain arangement. And there are probably three diffrent lamp types it could be intended to use, in around ten wattages. The wattage has to be correct or it won`t work properly. I don`t have a Series 11 so I`m not going to try to be more specific. But your light`s troubleshooting is going to be like most HID fixtures. They don`t vary a lot from fixture to fixture. BTW this thread should probably be moved to 'Lanterns/Fixtures | Modern'. Your light is probably made after 1980.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 08:54:43 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy

I had tested the fuse and it had continuity even though both ends of the fuse seemed loose.

I didn`t know these had fuses.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 11:17:06 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl

Taking it apart is the easy part... :mrg:
Being able to test the components, and putting it back together afterwards is the tricky part...  >:D :lol:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:35:38 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Being able to test the components, and putting it back together afterwards is the tricky part...  >:D :lol:

True, but getting the magic smoke back inside the capacitor is impossible! :mrg: :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Sox58

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:08 PM » Author: Sox58
This is (I think) a AE Series 11. That being said, there are around 6 different single voltages it could be intended for, or it may be able to run on several different voltages, but you would have to connect some of the wires in a certain arangement. And there are probably three diffrent lamp types it could be intended to use, in around ten wattages. The wattage has to be correct or it won`t work properly. I don`t have a Series 11 so I`m not going to try to be more specific. But your light`s troubleshooting is going to be like most HID fixtures. They don`t vary a lot from fixture to fixture. BTW this thread should probably be moved to 'Lanterns/Fixtures | Modern'. Your light is probably made after 1980.

Thanks for the info!
I know I have run it in the past on 120V but where the old bulb went I don't know. Dang.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 01:06:38 PM » Author: Metal Halide Boy

How true!
alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 09:59:27 AM » Author: alexd120
Did they make bucket/area lights in 250w mv

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 07:50:05 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Did they make bucket/area lights in 250w mv

Yes, they did.
Sox58

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 10:17:20 AM » Author: Sox58
Yes, they did.

My issue now is how to take it apart and what to look for that would tell me what lamp it needs.

I am attaching some of the spec sheets. Seems they can be made to use MH or HPS.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with a streetlight identification « Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:57 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
My issue now is how to take it apart and what to look for that would tell me what lamp it needs.

I am attaching some of the spec sheets. Seems they can be made to use MH or HPS.

They were offered in HPS, MV and MH, though not at the same time.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies