Author Topic: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture.  (Read 3863 times)
Sparky_t17

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 09:17:22 PM » Author: Sparky_t17
One thing I found interesting about this fixture was the slots at the top above both lamps. I thought I read somewhere that T17s didn’t like overheating so these fixtures had to be designed to allow the heat to easily escape. My other theory was that it allowed light to escape from the top to allow a more aesthetically pleasing look above the light. Based on what I have seen in old buildings this would make sense. It wasn’t uncommon for fluorescent lights to be mounted on vertical pipes to allow it to hang down closer to the floor. But I can tell this fixture was originally designed to be flush mounted as it has keyholes for screws and a 2 inch knockout in the center for the electrical box.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:08 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Those keyholes are probably meant for the stem hangers that these could attach to. Can you post of photo of the backside? With that said louvers can be mounted to stems or surface just fine in most cases.

Administrator #5

Sparky_t17

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 09:35:39 PM » Author: Sparky_t17
Yes of course. The bit is circled in red. Never thought those pipes had a name. It certainly looks like the stem pipes were added after the fact. But I guess ,like any other fluorescent light, they give you numerous ways to mount and wire them. The ceiling in this building was originally about ten feet up.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 09:45:36 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Oh that looks like a hole for a screw. Sorry for confusion. When you mentioned keyhole I thought they looked like the ones in my attachment. The stems mine could use were ones where it used 4 screws to attach the bracket and stem set to the fixture

On your fixture, the bigger holes directly by the ends would fit stems as well, the type that slips into the fixture and is secured with washers and nut.

Administrator #5

Sparky_t17

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 10:08:02 PM » Author: Sparky_t17
It is fine. I am running on a brain that has clocked out for the day and I couldn't remember what those holes were called. Once I saw your picture that is when I remembered what key holes really were. You know, because it is not like they don't look just like the key holes in all my doors. Ha ha! I'm only 26. Sometimes I wonder what is going to happen to my memory when I hit 50. It is all interesting though. Not a day goes by, when I walk around that building, that I don't imagine how many of these lights were floating above people's heads. At least a hundred or more. Proudly shining their large T17 lamps down on everyone. The pride in manufacturing these lights. I would have loved to be involved. All the hustle and bustle of a well oiled business. Now replaced with ugly drop ceiling and run down troffer lights. Not many tenants here anymore. It is sad. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong generation.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:59 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Welcome to the 26 club lol. I fully agree, I was born way too late and missed the good stuff. You got real lucky finding this and it looks like its in great shape and just needs a wipe.

The fixture looks like a cousin to the 2 old Electrolier T12 louvers I have. Ill attach pics of them.

Feel free to add your photos on our gallery site by the way, looks like you have some good luck going with fixtures.

Administrator #5

Sparky_t17

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pittsburgh Reflector Louvered T17 Fluorescent Fixture. « Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 08:04:11 PM » Author: Sparky_t17
That is an awesome fixture. Always thought these louvred/parabolic fixtures were the best. I have not seen many of these flush mount two lamp fixtures around. Even in the T12 variety. Most seemed to be the reflector or plastic wrap around ones. Even the drop ceiling ones. Most everyone prefers the prismatic diffusers. While they are nice just seem to lack any interest. Only a small amount of buildings I have been in have the 2x4 parabolic lights in them. My school had them. Used to stare at them for hours. Now I know why the teachers always bombshelled me with questions and I had no idea what they were even talking about.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies