Author Topic: have they stopped making fluorescent lights?  (Read 10859 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 11:15:29 PM » Author: Binarix128
Went to my local Home Repo today and they still have a large ass't of fluorescent , HID , halogen  and the specialty/high wattage incandescent along with the customary LEDs . Absolutely 0 HID fixtures though !!
Stock up some these as you can, because that won't last forever.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 05:58:56 AM » Author: Rommie
Once lockdown lightings up here where I am, I'll check mine out too. Right now they are only curbside. The online store says they are in stock with fluorescents still and same with Lowes so it should be ok
I think you need a proof reader  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 11:30:56 AM » Author: alexd120
Time to start ordering bulbs online.
I'm sure restore will have lots of used fluorescent and Hid light bulbs

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

vytautas_lamps

View Posts
View Gallery

My idol is Mylene Farmer, deal with it.

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #33 on: May 23, 2021, 03:52:46 AM » Author: vytautas_lamps
Time to start ordering bulbs online.
I'm sure restore will have lots of used fluorescent and Hid light bulbs

I can feel your pain. T12 tubes in Lithuania, like the good old quality stuff from Pila and GE or Tungsram got banned in 2004 when the new laws of "nature preservation and energy savings" got passed trough all of Europe. Yes, some stores did continue to sell the t12 tubes right up until 2012. 2012 was the year I saw the last case of Tungsram F40T12 tubes disappeared from the shelves. Unfortunately, by that time I wasn't too much into tube collecting, because I was still a kid. If I would have been older I would have stocked up on them T12 bulbs 5 cases of 25 for each size and color. But I can't complain too much because at this time I have a pretty good selection of T12 tubes. Mostly I got them from lamp graveyards in the deep forbidden basements of schools, offices, etc. and I am now able to use my vintage soviet F40T12 preheat fixtures with appropriate tubes. But I won't last long. My favorite tubes are Cool white ones, I have about 15 spare Tungsram F40T12 tubes in Cool White, but 15 is nothing compared to a life time. And yes I have about 300 Daylight tubes, all NOS, but I can't stand Daylight, its too cold for me.. I have so many of them because Daylight was the standard in all schools, and schools is where I get all of my tubes.. I tried looking online, them t12 tubes do not exist in Europe any longer.. and to buy from ebay.. some ugly ass looking cheap 640 cw tubes from chine with teenie weenie itsy bitsy 1k hour lasting cathodes barely sprinkled with emitter wont last damn half a year in a fixture, but they cost 10 bucks each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: I think I'll try my luck in more schools tube graveyards and stock up on some more tubes from there, because its the last place you can find them to this day. T12 is king, was king and will be king for me. T8 and T5 ain't got shait on them. My rant is over.  :sick:

New lighting technologies is a pity fest everywhere you look. From LEDs that last only for two months, to a never-ending global starvation of t8 fluorescent tubes.
We shall reinforce ourselves with good old full mercury t12s and HIDs made to surpass one's life, and give them all the middle finger ;

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #34 on: May 23, 2021, 08:10:19 AM » Author: funkybulb
I know the reason Some states  have banned T12
 If  look on T12! Fluorescent case  there about 5 states
  That compleatly banned T12.   U will  have import them
  From other States  that still sells fluorescent.  Philips
   Now importing T12 tubes from India on Old European
   Machinery.  So i suppect these altos will have higher quailty
   tripple coil cathodes.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:56 PM » Author: arcblue
The transition to LED-only has pretty much ended my trips to the lighting department of hardware stores. It actually started a while ago when my state imposed a tax on the purchase of any mercury-containing lamp. I remember explaining to a guy in line about that when he bought a pack of fluorescent tubes. He was irate; I told him to look on craigslist instead as people often give away old stocks of lamps or fixtures with lamps cheaply. I also remember talking to a guy who was upset he couldn't find a 175w mercury lamp for his yard light. I told him to call me and I'd sell him one of my spares for $5 but he never called.

I think the only way to avoid having to use LED is to have a stockpile of NOS lamps, but if a disaster ever happens and the stockpile is destroyed...well, I guess LEDs will be the only option. I use eBay to find smaller lamps, and I fortunately still have a fair amount of spare 4' fluorescent lamps, which seem to last about 20 years so I should hopefully be OK the rest of my life.

It is very sad though that LEDs have become the be-all end-all of all types of lighting. I didn't expect that would happen until the last couple of years when I saw the writing on the wall.

I'm lampin...

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 05:24:31 AM » Author: AngryHorse
But you know what’s coming next?, they’ll monitor your usage through smart meters, and if you’re lighting loads seems ‘a little high’?, they might come investigate individual households!

I know that’s just a crazy conspiracy theory at the minute  ;D but the way their clamping down on climate change, I wouldn’t say that may not be the case in years to come!  :wndr:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 01:10:26 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
But you know what’s coming next?, they’ll monitor your usage through smart meters, and if you’re lighting loads seems ‘a little high’?, they might come investigate individual households!

I know that’s just a crazy conspiracy theory at the minute  ;D but the way their clamping down on climate change, I wouldn’t say that may not be the case in years to come!  :wndr:

Does this mean that someone in the UK would get fined or imprisoned for using ‘inefficient’ light bulbs or be forced to give up their collections of ‘inefficient’ light bulbs and fixtures?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Olav
Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 03:09:20 AM » Author: Olav
Yes,

of course.
They will ring the doorbell at 5 a.m., then you will be arrested,
put in prison for 20 years and the collection will be recycled ...

Greetings from Hamburg

Olav
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 03:34:21 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Does this mean that someone in the UK would get fined or imprisoned for using ‘inefficient’ light bulbs or be forced to give up their collections of ‘inefficient’ light bulbs and fixtures?
Lol Olav! No, if this was ever implemented, they would probably just cut your supply off until you conformed!  ;D
Like I say, that’s just a crazy conspiracy theory, but look what happened throughout 2020 with Covid restrictions, partying in the UK was gate crashed by ‘Covid police’, and host’s were fined £10,000 for organising them!

Depending on how communistic they want to take climate change, what’s stopping them from monitoring what lighting people are using in the next 30 years??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:30:24 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 05:50:07 AM » Author: Rommie
Depending on how communistic they want to take climate change, what’s stopping them from monitoring what lighting people are using in the next 30 years??
Makes me glad I'm not likely to be around. By the way, can we steer the discussion away from political talk, please  :-*

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 07:14:42 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Lol yeah, figure of speech, but you can see it can’t you?, it’s like smart meters and the Covid vaccine, their not compulsory at the minute, but the more people refuse them, the more the establishment will move to make them mandatory!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 07:17:37 AM » Author: Rommie
'twas ever thus  :-\

Although I don't mind smart meters, since we've had them the little display box that measures consumption in real time has helped us keep our bills down a bit. And I don't see any reason not to have the Covid vaccine. But that's me, YMMV as they say (whoever 'they' are, they've got a lot to answer for if you ask me  :mrg:)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 07:19:19 AM » Author: Rommie
I don't see it, they wouldn't have the manpower to enforce it, even if they wanted to.

Anyway, back on topic please, people. The question is have they stopped making fluorescent lights, not what is highly unlikely to happen if you still have any in 30 years time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:28:37 AM by sox35 » Logged

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: have they stopped making fluorescent lights? « Reply #44 on: November 15, 2021, 03:59:33 PM » Author: Econolite03
Back on topic, despite California having some of the strictest efficiency standards and outlawing just about everything non-LED, my Home Depot as of currently still sells F32T8 / F40T12 strips such as my Matalux by Cooper, along with T5, T8, and T12 tubes, primarily of the standard median wattages as well as color temperatures such as daylight, cool white, and kitchen & bath along with the assorted replacement ballasts. However I’m not sure how long they will remain available as it depends among retailers, so I’d stock up if you can.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies