Author Topic: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home  (Read 1645 times)
sessaljs53

View Posts
View Gallery

Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « on: February 01, 2021, 11:05:42 PM » Author: sessaljs53
Hello - New member, long-time (60+ years) enthusiast here.

I just purchased one of those NOS Cooper OVZ New York City fixtures from e-bay, and I need advice on how to power it up at home.

I have purchase the required S-56 lamp, and for connection I purchased a 6ft. 14AWG 3-Conductor 3-Prong power cord with open wiring. The wiring inside the fixture is also 14AWG.

Inside the fixture is a three-connector terminal block. From my power cord, do I simply attach white to white, black to black, and green to the grounding screw?

Also, since I do not have a photo control, does anything special need to be done inside the fixture to bypass it? I just to plug it in and light it up.

I hope my questions have made sense, and that someone who has this fixture can help.

Thank You, Lou
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 11:09:04 PM » Author: Bulbman256
What voltage is the fixture? If its wired to 120 you can hook it right up but if its currently wired for a diffrent voltage try wiring it one 120v, or if the fixture cannot use 120v you can wire in a small autotransformer and hide it in the fixture. :D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:46:27 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Congratulations ! I also have one of these . To hook power up and bypass the photo control is simple .

1st  : disconnect the 3 wire plug going to the low voltage indicator on the door . (for some reason my indicator freaked out when I powered it up with the P/C bypassed ) no idea WHY !

2nd : hook your white power wire to white , green to the ground screw and connect the black to the center space on the terminal block ( it should have a red wire and a black wire attached there) this will power your light whilst eliminating the need for a P/C .

If you ever want to run it with a P/C , simply re-attach the 3 wire plug and move the black power wire to the space on the terminal block that has all black wires on it .

And in case you didn't know , the ballast in these lights will also run a 150w M-102 Ceramic Metal Halide lamp !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 12:51:54 AM » Author: joseph_125
If you don't want to modify the internal wiring or leave the PC socket uncovered, you could also get a shorting cap that installs on the PC socket instead for a few bucks.
sessaljs53

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 09:38:58 AM » Author: sessaljs53
Thank You for the replies.

Yes, I want to keep it as simple (and SAFE) as possible. I have read the instructions and watch both the You Tube videos posted by this fixtures owners.

I'll report back in a few days when I get around to firing it up.

Lou
sessaljs53

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 01:39:20 PM » Author: sessaljs53

1st  : disconnect the 3 wire plug going to the low voltage indicator on the door . (for some reason my indicator freaked out when I powered it up with the P/C bypassed ) no idea WHY !

2nd : hook your white power wire to white , green to the ground screw and connect the black to the center space on the terminal block ( it should have a red wire and a black wire attached there) this will power your light whilst eliminating the need for a P/C .

If you ever want to run it with a P/C , simply re-attach the 3 wire plug and move the black power wire to the space on the terminal block that has all black wires on it .

Thank You - I have successfully connected and powered up the fixture using your instructions bypassing the PC.

I also had an untested Fisher-Pierce 6660 PC that I got from a "roadkill" ITT Model 13 many years ago. I inserted it into the new Cooper OVZ/NYC socket, moved the black wire to the black terminal, connected the harness for the low-voltage indicator,and the light powered right up, regardless of dark or light. I'm thinking the PC is no good. Can you recommend a new PC for the Cooper?

Lou
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:41:15 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
How about this one ??  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Tech-Outdoor-Twist-Lock-Photo-Control-Dusk-to-Dawn-105-130V-50-60HZ/362630887042

sessaljs53

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 07:45:11 PM » Author: sessaljs53
Got my photo control today (the one you linked to) , installed it and powered up the fixture. Works great! I'll have to post a video.

Thanks for all your help!

Lou
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request Help: How To Connect My Cooper OVZ-NYC at Home « Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 09:51:38 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
No problem !! That's what we're here for !

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies