Author Topic: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture!  (Read 3729 times)
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « on: March 16, 2021, 09:33:05 PM » Author: AZTECH
I found an abandon building garage shop while I was looking for pigeons and there two of power grove T17 8 ft fixture and I only able to save one at this time. it very difficult to remove with 4? gauge wire hanging the fixture. it don't work well with plier cutter! it took me 40 min to bring it down the heavy fixture!
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:51:13 PM » Author: AZTECH
I tired power up it seem both tubes  :eoled:   :sick:

The end black plastic were too brittle!

Not sure about ballast if still good but what I see it said GE Bonus line.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:05:57 PM » Author: thelightingman
That's a very cool light!

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:12:38 PM » Author: AZTECH
That's a very cool light!

Yes it is! I almost fell down on abandon Oldsmobile car it was amazing heavy fixture I was not expected. Homeless people did used to live at old garage shop but lucky nobody saw me doing that time.

Just found some interesting info on fixture... Canadian designed fixture Day-Brite Lightning Inc what doing in Idaho?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:38:12 PM by AZTECH » Logged
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 10:37:08 PM » Author: thelightingman
That's good.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 10:52:54 PM » Author: joseph_125
Nice pictures, like I said on your gallery comments, this is a Day-Brite Luvex PG louvered fixture. The first one I'd ever seen posted here. Anyway here's the catalogue page for them.

Day-Brite was based in St Louis MO. but their fixtures were sold in Canada too, usually under the Amalgamated Electric name. Here's a snippet of the Canadian Amalgamated catalogue. Unfortunately no online copy of it exists and the only copy I know of is reference only at the library. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:54:46 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 11:23:15 PM » Author: AZTECH
Nice pictures, like I said on your gallery comments, this is a Day-Brite Luvex PG louvered fixture. The first one I'd ever seen posted here. Anyway here's the catalogue page for them.

Day-Brite was based in St Louis MO. but their fixtures were sold in Canada too, usually under the Amalgamated Electric name. Here's a snippet of the Canadian Amalgamated catalogue. Unfortunately no online copy of it exists and the only copy I know of is reference only at the library.

Interesting info about that Day-Brite Luvex and I am tempering to go back to same place to loot other last one Day-Brite fixture luvex. Because that building is going go down to dirty someday. 
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 02:50:20 AM » Author: AZTECH
@joseph_125

The Day-Brite catalogue you showed me it looks more of CFI-30 model and also I recently discovered other place have lot (maybe 40 qty) of old 4x4 unit fixture that hold 8 (YES EIGHT!) of F40T12 lamps. Same Day-Brite brand I think.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:55:05 AM by AZTECH » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 02:52:40 AM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting, might be worth it looking into getting the other one too. The 4x4 troffers are neat too. Not too many of those still around. I think there's a department store with a original interior that still has some of those huge lights left. I've seen them hold anywhere from 6 lamps with a PAR spot in the centre to 10 lamps.
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:58:49 PM » Author: AZTECH
Got other last one! The rusty one fixture did fell down long time ago on cement floor hit hard on one of end cap but I was able straight up fender body.

Other two 8ft PG t17 lamp didn't survived the crash on floor.  :(
Sparky_t17

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 03:12:51 PM » Author: Sparky_t17
Nice to see another T17 louvre fixture around. Don’t seem to be very many of them. Would love to see one of those Powergroove lamps myself. I only have the standard ones. Still cool though. T17s don’t seem very common anymore. I’ve been in many old buildings and haven’t seen any others but the one from the building I work at. Is a shame the lamps burned out. Is pretty common when the ballast windings start to go to send more power than the lamp is rated for. Had a preheat fixture that liked to do that.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 01:07:27 PM » Author: DieselNut
By the looks of the pins on your last photo, that looks to be the issue with your tubes. They can be carefully straightened and set with epoxy so you can light the tubes.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 07:55:08 PM » Author: AZTECH
By the looks of the pins on your last photo, that looks to be the issue with your tubes. They can be carefully straightened and set with epoxy so you can light the tubes.

I did tried test with alligator clips it did not lit up. So I think two lamps either EOL or ballast don't work.

Ouch hard to find 8ft pg17 lamps and shipping  :poof:
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 10:14:33 PM » Author: joseph_125
Hmm did you try checking to see if the cathodes are still intact with a multimeter set to continuity test?

To test the ballast, you can try tracking down a pair of F96T12/VHO lamps and installing those in the light. VHO tubes are electrically the same as PG17 but should be more common.
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Found rare power grove 8ft T17 fixture! « Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:07 PM » Author: AZTECH
Hmm did you try checking to see if the cathodes are still intact with a multimeter set to continuity test?

To test the ballast, you can try tracking down a pair of F96T12/VHO lamps and installing those in the light. VHO tubes are electrically the same as PG17 but should be more common.

I did test the cathodes it's all very alive. I think old VHO ballast probably quit work long time ago.  Anyone have broke PG17 end caps? I might try swap the plastic ends for sockets and hopefully not already loss of vacuum seal. I dont spare VHO ballast for 8ft lamps but I could try with HO ballast for 8ft lamps.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:56:25 PM by AZTECH » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies