Author Topic: Memorable achievements  (Read 2620 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Memorable achievements « on: March 18, 2021, 03:32:59 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I was thinking back on the things I've achieved in my life, and flying a glider solo must rate right up at the top.  8) Second only to getting married to Ria.  :-* :love:
It took me a long time to get there and the primary training was in a in a Sedbergh T.21 with the two seats side by side.
The secondary training and the glider I flew solo was in a Kirby cadet Mk.3  :'-) The solo flight was just a single circuit and couldn't have lasted more than a few minutes, but it was wonderful :love:
These types of glider were used from 1950 right up until just after I flew solo in 1984. :poof:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:59:57 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:43:54 PM » Author: Rommie
I was thinking back on the things I've achieved in my life, and flying a glider solo must rate right up at the top.  8) Second only to getting married to Ria.  :-* :love:
Awwww, thank you sweetheart  :-[

The closest I ever came with regard to flying was having a trial lesson in a helicopter about 20 years ago, sadly I did not have the money for a full course, rotary wing flying is expensive  :poof:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:57:15 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Awwww, thank you sweetheart  :-[

The closest I ever came with regard to flying was having a trial lesson in a helicopter about 20 years ago, sadly I did not have the money for a full course, rotary wing flying is expensive  :poof:
The only way I could afford to do it was through the Air Training Corps, and the bank of mum and dad to pay for my travel to the gliding school.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Desultory13
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:17:51 PM » Author: Desultory13
When it comes to memorable achievements I can think of 4 careerwise but a most recent achievement was when Ria told me that I've been like a brother to her and Sammi. That's one of the nicest compliments I've ever had :love:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:19:58 PM » Author: Rommie
Awwwww, you're making us go bright red here  :-[  :love: :-[  :love:  :-[  :love:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:02:34 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The only way I could afford to do it was through the Air Training Corps, and the bank of mum and dad to pay for my travel to the gliding school.  :)
I was also in the ATC, I passed my marksman on the firing range  ;D, quite funny though, as back then, being a 14 year old, ( very small and skinny young lad ), the 303 rifle I was shooting had such a big back kick, it started knocking me down the firing hole I was lying in!  :lol: :lol:
How I managed to hit the targets was anybody’s guess!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Desultory13
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 08:01:31 PM » Author: Desultory13
One truly memorable achievement was when I showed a crew from my local power company, Florida Power & Light, that I was able to wire a 3phase transformer bank, man were they surprised!
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:51:42 PM » Author: Bulbman256
One truly memorable achievement was when I showed a crew from my local power company, Florida Power & Light, that I was able to wire a 3phase transformer bank, man were they surprised!

That's pretty cool, i could wire it but i don't think i could do it right! :mrg: 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

WigWag
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 12:20:32 AM » Author: WigWag
That's pretty cool, i could wire it but i don't think i could do it right! :mrg: 8)
Yeah those WYE and Delta connections can be confusing at first but anybody can learn them.
The exciting part is wiring them from a bucket 45' from the ground! 8)
Desultory13
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 06:37:24 PM » Author: Desultory13

That was so cool! I was watching you show these guys how it's done and I just wanted to bust, I was so proud!
Desultory13
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 06:57:43 PM » Author: Desultory13
That was so cool! I was watching you show these guys how it's done and I just wanted to bust, I was so proud!
Aww thanks! Man was I nervous and yet I felt right at home with the crew.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 01:12:29 AM » Author: Bulbman256
As an average teenage most of what I do doesn't seem to really be an achievement, but what i do consider one was when last summer i spent 6 hours with a family friend wiring and installing outlets and the electrical boxes to then install a few under cabinet lights. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 01:35:33 AM » Author: Econolite03
My most memorable achievement was meeting up with another collector from Lighting-Gallery last month. I met rlshieldjr and at the meet got a few items. This was the first time I’ve ever met in person with someone who is in the same hobby. Some of the stuff I got is posted in my gallery. It was a really good meet.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 08:55:42 AM » Author: Rommie
Always good to meet people face to face, sadly there aren't any other LG members in this area, the nearest is 100 miles away :-\

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Memorable achievements « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 11:58:37 AM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
As an average teenage most of what I do doesn't seem to really be an achievement, but what i do consider one was when last summer i spent 6 hours with a family friend wiring and installing outlets and the electrical boxes to then install a few under cabinet lights. :bulbman:

No matter what you set out to do is an achievement. Even if it is incomplete, done correctly or incorrectly, it is still an achievement. If you are not satisfied in reaching a particular goal, try again. We learn from doing things on our own. Life is a neverending series of everyday achievements, no matter how big or small they may be. Always be proud of the goals you have reached and what you did to get you there. :)

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies