Author Topic: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp???  (Read 2698 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 06:21:16 PM » Author: AngryHorse
It’s quite cool to be honest, even the simple Pygmy lamp is still showing me new things in the lighting world!  :laugh:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 06:22:28 PM » Author: Rommie
Even traditional light sources still have a few surprises  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 07:38:45 AM » Author: Medved
To me it looks like the filament is touching the support wire (not only within the hoop, but a bit down as well), which is then shorting out the few mm section of the filament (between the hoop and the touching point). The thermal expansion makes that section to move, so making/breaking the connection there.

No more selfballasted c***

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 05:57:03 PM » Author: James
Very strange behaviour.  I think Medved’s explanation is the most likely, and wonder if there is a very fine splinter of wire there which is short-circuiting some turns.  The only other possibility I can think of is a rare phenomenon in which there is a locally increased concentration of potassium in the filament (GLS filaments are in fact a tungsten-potassium alloy).  It is known that when that happens, a small cloud of potassium can form around the filament, and that vapour is more conductive than the filament which can lead to the formation of an arc.  Usually that is destructive and the lamp fails, but I suppose its possible that it could happen on a limited scale and only short-circuit part of the filament and be ballasted by the rest of the filament.

Please bring it along to the June lamp collectors meet at Kev’s place - if the UK is open again by then I will come with a small digital microscope and then we could try to see what’s happening in more detail.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 06:32:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
That’s exactly what I was going to suggest James!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies