Author Topic: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp???  (Read 2705 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « on: March 18, 2021, 04:02:38 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Humour me for a minute here, but I’ve just fired up a 15watt Pygmy, and it’s doing something electrically impossible??
It’s flickering, like something with a bad connection, but it’s certainly not that, I first thought it was the filament ‘wiggling’, like when you bump a tungsten lamp with a thin filament........., but it’s not that either

It’s something I’ve never EVER seen before, and should be scientifically and electrically impossible??
I’ve looked closely at the filament under a magnifying glass, and there’s no break or twist in it, but the flickering is being caused by a 2mm section of filament going out, then coming back on!!!!

Now I can understand this on a row of LED diodes, but not on something resistant heated by a flow of electricity!
I wish I could show you all this, this tiny section is not dimming it’s completely going out, then coming back on!, that can’t be????

You’re thoughts?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:01:07 PM » Author: Rommie
Very weird, wish we could see it. Can you not post a video  :wndr: ???

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:34:56 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I tried, but you can’t zoom in that well with an iPhone camera, you just get a flickery Pygmy lamp!, I was watching it through the reflection of the screen of my phone while off, and it’s a section just before it goes through the support loop on the stem?

I know a heated filament cools as it goes through the loop itself, but this doesn’t explain the flashing on and off like a broken LED string??

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:50:17 AM » Author: Medved
Short circuits either between turns of the filament coil or support wires, both influeneced by heat, so thermally cycling (the same as wire bonds on LEDs do when such crazy flashing by the way).
It is well possible the tap on the bulb is not enough to reposition the structures to stop that happening...

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 01:06:23 PM » Author: Binarix128
Short circuits either between turns of the filament coil or support wires, both influeneced by heat, so thermally cycling (the same as wire bonds on LEDs do when such crazy flashing by the way).
It is well possible the tap on the bulb is not enough to reposition the structures to stop that happening...
That's thermal expension, the filament is acting like a bimetalic switch, when it heats up it opens the circuit and when it cools down it closes, cycling like the old flashy incandescent xmas lights. That effect also causes incandescent bulbs to buzz with light dimmers, the filament has not enough time to cool down, creating harmonic acoustic oscillations.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 04:02:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah I remember the bimetallic Christmas lights, but just to be clear, the whole filament stays lit at all times, just a tiny section in it is going out, it sounds like what Medved describes but without a more powerful magnifying glass I can’t be 100% sure?
It’s just strange to observe a tiny section of a full heated filament flashing on and off  :o

Welcome to OBLIVION

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 04:11:37 PM » Author: Binarix128
Yep, now it is more likely to be a short across the wire supports. The thermal expansion causes the support wires to slightly touch each other, but for that the wires must be sitting very very close to each other in the glass support. The filament doesn't turn off at all because it is such a tiny contact point, with high resistance. Does the other section of the dilament get brighter? Can you take a video of it, at leats for see the flicker behaviour?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 04:17:38 PM » Author: Rommie
I really wish that I could observe this for myself, it sounds a fascinating phenomenon  :wndr:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 04:50:54 PM » Author: AngryHorse
As I’m not on YouTube, or have any means of sharing videos, not sure how I could do that, but it’s like taking a lit tungsten lamp with a very thin and fragile filament and tapping it, and as the filament bounces, it creates a flickering effect, sadly with an iPhone camera though, you can’t get close enough to be able see the tiny section of filament flashing!

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 04:53:31 PM » Author: Rommie
Well when we're finally able to travel, we'll have to come and visit (be scared, be very, very scared  :DeAtH:  :mrg:)

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 05:44:20 PM » Author: Binarix128
Not even a cycle of pictures? You could post them as an attached file.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 06:12:53 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Ok, this is the best close up I can do, the effected spot is circled, and this section going on and off is causing the flickering effect

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 06:14:48 PM » Author: Rommie
That's good enough, and a strange one indeed  :wndr:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 06:17:13 PM » Author: AngryHorse
It’s really weird to watch, like someone turning just that little bit on and off with a switch!  :wndr:

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Very strange behaviour of a Pygmy lamp??? « Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 06:19:39 PM » Author: Rommie
Maybe James or Max might have an idea  ???

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies