Author Topic: Igniting North American 175w - 400w probe start MH lamps with a glowstarter  (Read 798 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Igniting North American 175w - 400w probe start MH lamps with a glowstarter « on: March 20, 2021, 11:30:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am wondering if I can reliably ignite North American 175w M57, 250w M58, and 400w M59 probe start metal halide lamps using a glowbottle starter in parallel with the lamp on a ballast with an OCV between 220v and 240v. I am interested in doing such experiments because I like watching preheat fluorescent lights blink to life upon applying power and watching HID lamps warming up to full power. I wonder if I can connect a resistor in series with the glowbottle starter to help limit current to the glowbottle starter and allow it to last its rated life.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Igniting North American 175w - 400w probe start MH lamps with a glowstarter « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 02:45:49 AM » Author: dor123
It is possible. But I'm heard that Na-Sc MH lamps are intended to be work on CWA and not on reactor ballast, since any voltage variation may lead to color change.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Igniting North American 175w - 400w probe start MH lamps with a glowstarter « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:18:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It is possible. But I'm heard that Na-Sc MH lamps are intended to be work on CWA and not on reactor ballast, since any voltage variation may lead to color change.

@dor123, in North America, we do have some CWA mercury vapor ballasts in North America that do have an OCV that is roughly between 220v and 240v. Plus, in addition, there are some 277v reactor/choke ballasts that are intended for sodium scandium probe start and pulse start metal halides too, finally, most low wattage sodium scandium pulse start metal halide lamps in North America that are electrically interchangeable with European high pressure sodium lamps typically use HX ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies