Author Topic: Caster quality  (Read 884 times)
mrbristolian

View Posts
View Gallery

Caster quality « on: March 28, 2021, 09:59:00 AM » Author: mrbristolian
Thinking of getting a cheap clear MV for occasional use in a moth trap - I note the cautions regarding the quality of Caster bulbs, but what is it that users experience when it comes to low quality?

Is it build quality? Longevity? Output? Brightness?

It's not going to be run very frequently but UV output is important.

Thanks!
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Caster quality « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:41:20 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I don't really know enough about Caster lamps to tell you. I would try Sylvania or Philips, their HID lamps seem to be better than most other HIDs made today. Now, if you're looking for a quality MV lamp, Westinghouse Lifeguards are the way to go. eBay has tons of them for sale. However, those might be hard to find for cheap.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Caster quality « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 01:50:32 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
I don't really know enough about Caster lamps to tell you. I would try Sylvania or Philips, their HID lamps seem to be better than most other HIDs made today. Now, if you're looking for a quality MV lamp, Westinghouse Lifeguards are the way to go. eBay has tons of them for sale. However, those might be hard to find for cheap.

From what I understand Caster MV lamps are pretty low quality. For something relatively recently made in MV, EYE would also be a good way to go, too. :mv:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Caster quality « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 03:46:24 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
If you're only using the lamp on occasion a caster lamp will work fine. It shouldn't die too quickly unless you get a defective bulb.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

mrbristolian

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Caster quality « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 04:15:28 PM » Author: mrbristolian
Thanks for the replies all  :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Caster quality « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 04:38:24 PM » Author: Rommie
We've got a 100W one that we were given, but it's only been run up a couple of times to test, it's not going to see active service  :mv:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Caster quality « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:14:15 AM » Author: 589
We've got a 100W one that we were given, but it's only been run up a couple of times to test, it's not going to see active service  :mv:

And that one has a fawlty ignition probe :)

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Caster quality « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:35:02 AM » Author: Rommie
And that one has a fawlty ignition probe :)
It fires up, though  :mv:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies