Author Topic: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps!  (Read 5081 times)
Desultory13
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 12:31:47 AM » Author: Desultory13
@Desultory:

Yep I see T8 being converted to LED everywhere here too (either with retrofit tubes, or full fixture replacement). And like you say *any* new construction/remodel is LED, not fluorescent.
The only one I see maybe hanging on a bit longer than the others is T5 .. but even that is basically a dead tech too.
T5 technology never had a chance to begin with and was to much of a latecomer to the scene.
Honestly I don't know what the manufacturers were thinking.
I mean honestly was there any benefit over T8s.
Oh I get it now, smaller diameter tubes means less phosphors and mercury and therefore less investment on the manufacturers part right?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 12:41:01 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Desultory
Oh I get it now, smaller diameter tubes means less phosphors and mercury and therefore less investment on the manufacturers part right?
Yep. cheaper to manufacture.
And can be sold for more because its "smaller & more efficient"

I should probably pick up some more F54T5's (especially in red & blue) one of these days, before they stop being made ..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 12:43:39 AM » Author: nicksfans
I agree with Desultory...fluorescent lighting has run its course. The best thing we lighting enthusiasts can do right now is to save as much as we reasonably can. There’s a chance it’ll become cool again in 30-40 years, like vacuum tubes or vinyl records, but no one can say for sure.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 03:08:53 AM » Author: joseph_125
I agree with Desultory...fluorescent lighting has run its course. The best thing we lighting enthusiasts can do right now is to save as much as we reasonably can. There’s a chance it’ll become cool again in 30-40 years, like vacuum tubes or vinyl records, but no one can say for sure.

Yeah, agreed. Aside from temporary installations, I haven't really seen any new commericial building with fluorescent being installed. Even places still with fluorescent are increasing retrofitting to LED. Given that LED drop in tubes for fluorescent luminaires exist, most place would probably opt for those instead of buying new fluorescent lamps. There are some specialty applications where fluorescent will stick around for a bit longer (BLB, BL, and UV-C) but LED is making inroads into those fields too.

I'd say T5 is a bit like the fluorescent equilvant of CMH, both newer versions of existing tech that never really took off due to LED. Another issue with T5 was that the lampholders as well as the lampholder spacing was radically different than T12/T8 so retrofits were more involved compared to T12 to T8. T5 retrofit lampholders were made, they were often longer to account for the shorter T5 lamps but T5 retrofits were rare.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:36 PM » Author: Binarix128
Now that's just hilarous, and another far-fetched way of forcing LEDs into the market. I would think that the fluorescent banning would start with lower CRI ones like halophosphores, and then scaling up, but starting by the highest makes no sense. What about the applications that requires high CRI lamps, like photography? Seems like they would need to stick to the LEDs which are mostly <85 CRI. Good that the LED shadow-hand is not that bad around here.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 07:40:51 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Binarix128
  What about the applications that requires high CRI lamps, like photography?
Other bans I've seen 'specialty lamps' are exempt (don't know if that's the case with this one). So it was a photography-specific lamp (which would require nothing more than being labeled as such), it wouldn't be banned.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 06:58:50 AM » Author: 589
PL-L and HMI will probably stick around a good bit longer in video production circles. HMI especially since all the weight is in the ballast and that can be remote when using one in a pendant style. You only need a large C-stand to rig it. An equivalent LED would be exponentially heavier and require a much more substantial rig to suspend it.

:lps:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 11:43:52 PM » Author: funkybulb
Thing is there unintended consquences as I am a greenie guy my self.  I own serveral F40T12 DC rapid start ballast for off grid lighting.  And I hate LEDs for this application as low voltage leds are crap and horrid. So dont start banning T12 lamps cause There not effient. It how we use the lighting.

There are few days in Texas that 60 percent of power come from wind!  Those are usually on 60 /70 F low huimd days. 
When we dont need cooling or heating.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 11:52:49 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In this case, the linear fluorescents that exclude the F40T12 tubes (linear and U bent), F96T12 slimline, and F96T12 HO will still be legally sold for a while? It seems that by 2030, there will NOT be a single fluorescent tube and a single HID lamp manufactured on the entire planet by then if it is intended for general lighting. This includes the complete disappearance of smaller fluorescent tubes like F20T12 tubes, F15T8 tubes, circline tubes, low power T5 fluorescent tubes, all HID lamps, all induction lamps, F32T8 tubes, F17T8 tubes, T5 HE tubes, T5 HO tubes, all T8 and T12 HO and VHO tubes, all T8 and T12 slimline tubes, and every other non-LED light source before 2030 even arrives in favor of LED lighting. By then, seeing ANY non-LED light source intended for general lighting that is still in active service will become a rarity outside of collections in every country in the world. I would guess that the 2030s will see some of the VERY LAST HID AND FLUORESCENT lamps being replaced with LEDs for general lighting and people who support lamp bans will likely celebrate these events.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: States banning high-CRI linear fluorescent lamps! « Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 01:14:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
By the looks of it, California is considering effectively banning all CFL lamps by 2024 and all limear fluorescent tubes by 2025:

https://www.clasp.ngo/updates/?f-location_tax%5B%5D=americas

This is per the Minamata convention.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies