Author Topic: Pilot Projects  (Read 559 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Pilot Projects « on: April 07, 2021, 07:18:50 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Have there been any pilot projects that have taken place in your area? One took place on US-101 in Olympia. WSDOT installed 88 AEL Autobahn ATB2s that was on a 1.3 mile stretch. I think it took place sometime in 2018. See the article for more details.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pilot Projects « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:06:54 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Not many, I heard Kennebunk Maine was playing around with Cree RSWs but I don't know how that turned out.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Pilot Projects « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:41 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Not many, I heard Kennebunk Maine was playing around with Cree RSWs but I don't know how that turned out.

Kennebunk had quite a few Pemco deep-bowl radial wave reproduction fixtures with 50W HPS lamps in them. These were installed in the 1990s primarily on account of the fact that the townspeople did not want new-looking fixtures in certain parts of the town, notably the historical districts. These replaced some really old rusty incandescents (92W, 1000L). The Pemco lights had their starting aids integral with the ballast and started to become a failure problem here and there not long after they were put up. Replacement Pemco heads were installed. Now, 25 years later, I am sure they can tell you that these old lights have done their job and they likely are tired of spending money fixing them! It would make sense to me if they installed something eye-appealing for LED luminaires where the Pemco radial waves were. I have not been up that way in some time so I do not know what is going on.

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pilot Projects « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:24:33 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Kennebunk had quite a few Pemco deep-bowl radial wave reproduction fixtures with 50W HPS lamps in them. These were installed in the 1990s primarily on account of the fact that the townspeople did not want new-looking fixtures in certain parts of the town, notably the historical districts. These replaced some really old rusty incandescents (92W, 1000L). The Pemco lights had their starting aids integral with the ballast and started to become a failure problem here and there not long after they were put up. Replacement Pemco heads were installed. Now, 25 years later, I am sure they can tell you that these old lights have done their job and they likely are tired of spending money fixing them! It would make sense to me if they installed something eye-appealing for LED luminaires where the Pemco radial waves were. I have not been up that way in some time so I do not know what is going on.
Thankfully Kennebunk didn't have much radial waves left anyway. How bad were the 92w Radial Waves in Kennebunk?Kennebunkport has very old (some beat up) radial waves that had LED bulbs installed. Rockport installed those Pemco HPS reproductions and were debating on keeping them or replacing them with LED, not sure what the outcome of that was.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Pilot Projects « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 08:35:23 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Thankfully Kennebunk didn't have much radial waves left anyway. How bad were the 92w Radial Waves in Kennebunk?Kennebunkport has very old (some beat up) radial waves that had LED bulbs installed. Rockport installed those Pemco HPS reproductions and were debating on keeping them or replacing them with LED, not sure what the outcome of that was.

A lot of the incandescents Kennebunk had were Wheeler straight-can-fixtures on 3/4-inch pipe arms that made a 90 degree bend down at the fixture end. There were some NEMA Wheelers as well (mostly 60s straight sided ones with photocontrols) and these were on 4-foot steel straight arms and 6 foot alunimum curved ones. The oldest lights were a few of the porcelain fixture head variety (Wheeler and Cutter). The reflectors on all of their lights were used over from prior years, many were painted over with rust all around them. Nothing really fancy; most of their incandescents were on side streets. The main roads had a some 175 and 250W MVs with ITT 13s (1970s) and during the 60s they used a fair number of LM or ME Unistyles in these wattages. No 100W MV as far as I know. There also were some 400W MVs but very few. Those were LMs or ME Unidoors and in the 70s they used a few ITT/AEL 25s, again in 400W MV. Most of their MVs were DX but clears were mixed in. During the 80s they used 175W NEMA yard lights for MV. :mv: :mvc:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies