Author Topic: European Choke type ballast circuit type  (Read 878 times)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

European Choke type ballast circuit type « on: April 10, 2021, 01:43:16 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Does anybody know what the north American equivalent would be for the standard HID ballasts you find in the EU and UK? There are single coil (single input voltage) ballasts here known as Reactor and HX, would that be the same?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: European Choke type ballast circuit type « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:56:52 PM » Author: dor123
An HX ballast is similar to a series choke in that both are reactor ballasts, so provides sine wave to the lamp, and not depending on the capacitor for lamp operation.
CWA is an autoregulator ballast that use the capacitor as its ballast component and require it for lamp operation. It provides different current wave to the lamp.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: European Choke type ballast circuit type « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Actually, a reactor ballast in North America functions just like a typical European choke ballast. To make it clear, the terms “reactor” and “choke” essentially mean the same thing. A HX ballast that simply consists of a choke and a step up/down transformer integrated into one complete package. In addition, a CWA ballast is just an HX ballast that uses a capacitor in series with the lamp or a capacitor in series between the step up/down transformer and the choke.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies