Author Topic: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight!  (Read 3339 times)
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « on: April 14, 2021, 11:54:10 PM » Author: thelightingman
I came across this video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcys6jdLQjc&t=535s
I think this is a waste of an easily repairable floodlight! it was a 1000 watt HPS flood that could have gone for some good money even it the shape it's in! it needed a new capacitor and new lamp! Maybe even a 1000 watt MV ballast could have been dropped in. I posted a comment giving constructive criticism though. it should be easy to find.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...  :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :sadbulb: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:23:02 PM by thelightingman » Logged

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:13:14 AM » Author: Econolite03
I don’t get why people do this, just disappointing. I thought the fixture looks kinda like a Sylvania HDF series, but idk.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:08:13 AM » Author: Lumex120
That was one of the most painful videos I've seen in a long time.

Unofficial LG Discord

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 09:27:03 AM » Author: dor123
If they want to see what inside the floodlight, just open it and not tear down it.
I've seen people doing this also with printers and copiers.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 12:37:02 PM » Author: thelightingman
I don’t get why people do this, just disappointing. I thought the fixture looks kinda like a Sylvania HDF series, but idk.

I saw the GE logo a few times. It is dissapointing.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 12:38:03 PM » Author: thelightingman
That was one of the most painful videos I've seen in a long time.

I didn't even watch the whole thing.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:50:34 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Things I noticed :  A) it had an aftermarket ballast cobbled into it with holes drilled through the fixture housing.
                    B) It was indeed a Sylvania . I used to go to a racetrack that was lit by those and 1000w GE power floods .
                    C) His methods and tools say he is a professional scrapper as his full time job.

All stripped down and separated like he did probably got him enough money to but his lunch that day .

Years ago , I got close to 50-75 400w probe start MH high bays from work , I tested each one and offered the good ones for sale to people I knew at the time for $15 each , I sold maybe 10 in the span of a year . After getting tired of seeing the remainder taking up valuable space , I decided to strip the remainder and scrap them . I think I got around $75 from the scrap yard .

For those who aren't aware , the reason for totally & methodically separating each kind of metal into it's own pile is because at the scrap yard , the buyers will usually check the material over and pay you based on the cheapest material present if the item isn't separated . For example , If you take an entire cobra-head in they will deduct for the glass and less valuable materials and pay you for as they call it "dirty aluminum" which is worth barely more than the value of plain old sheet steel . As a part-time scrapper my self , I've learned all the tricks in order to make the most money from every thing I scrap .

Any professional scrapper will tell you that they'd rather have a guaranteed $25 right now than possible $100 in a day or 2 .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a perfectly good vintage GE floodlight! « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:20:17 PM » Author: thelightingman
Things I noticed :  A) it had an aftermarket ballast cobbled into it with holes drilled through the fixture housing.
                    B) It was indeed a Sylvania . I used to go to a racetrack that was lit by those and 1000w GE power floods .
                    C) His methods and tools say he is a professional scrapper as his full time job.

All stripped down and separated like he did probably got him enough money to but his lunch that day .

Years ago , I got close to 50-75 400w probe start MH high bays from work , I tested each one and offered the good ones for sale to people I knew at the time for $15 each , I sold maybe 10 in the span of a year . After getting tired of seeing the remainder taking up valuable space , I decided to strip the remainder and scrap them . I think I got around $75 from the scrap yard .

For those who aren't aware , the reason for totally & methodically separating each kind of metal into it's own pile is because at the scrap yard , the buyers will usually check the material over and pay you based on the cheapest material present if the item isn't separated . For example , If you take an entire cobra-head in they will deduct for the glass and less valuable materials and pay you for as they call it "dirty aluminum" which is worth barely more than the value of plain old sheet steel . As a part-time scrapper my self , I've learned all the tricks in order to make the most money from every thing I scrap .

Any professional scrapper will tell you that they'd rather have a guaranteed $25 right now than possible $100 in a day or 2 .

Ok, I did not realize that the ballast was aftermarket. I will change the title, but still, it could have been repaired and a 1000 watt MV ballast could have been dropped in!

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:32:45 PM » Author: thelightingman
Though, you guys should watch this guy's other videos because they are oddly intresting and fun to watch. This is the only video that angered me and I think I overreacted, so I apologize for that. Thanks.  :) :D

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:37:45 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
You just have to remember that professional scrappers think TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the rest of us .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 12:29:37 AM » Author: thelightingman
You just have to remember that professional scrappers think TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the rest of us .

Ok, thanks. I think I jumped to a conclusion too quick. I do that way too much. I should  :slap: myself for that

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 12:50:27 AM » Author: tolivac
The "scrapper" could have sold the light for MORE money than scrapping it!Scrappers should think about that!
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Somebody scrapped a vintage floodlight! « Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 01:15:19 PM » Author: funkybulb
I am a professional scrapper my self
Problem is it would take lot more time and effort to
Sell.  And the space to hold the items. At todays
Metal price that light to him he prolly made about 30
 Bucks after his time processing these.

But I am a light collector as half of my colection
Came from scrap metal pick ups

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies