Author Topic: The sense of ´´Karma´´  (Read 2786 times)
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

The sense of ´´Karma´´ « on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:34 AM » Author: magslight
Sorry, but for me have karma in a website with a lot of members no sense. I tested it on TudorWhiz and I noticed that you and me can applaus or smite all 7 hours. What sense it have?
gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:39 PM » Author: gmercury2000
Originally you could keep doing one or the other without a limit. There were some issues with members abusing the karma so it was changed. People may get a beef with another member and try to make them look bad to everyone else by say giving them several smites. So now you can smite but only 1 time in a given amount of time. Same with applause. Personally I think it keeps the system a bit more fair for all.
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:37 PM » Author: magslight
Good, but who want to smite someone and want to made this person bad? Would you do smite someone?
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:06:59 AM » Author: don93s
If someone was being disrespectful or insulting, I suppose that's a good time for smites...sort of incentive to be nice when posting! But as Geoff said, it can be abused as well.
Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:27 AM » Author: Luminaire
If someone was being disrespectful or insulting, I suppose that's a good time for smites...sort of incentive to be nice when posting! But as Geoff said, it can be abused as well.

Also, most of communication here takes place in the gallery comments, but Karma can only be issued through forum posts.  This means those who dislike/like gallery comments can allocate karma to some random post by that person on the forum.  One person with an issue with one person can also repeatedly smite a few times a day.

The smite/applaud function is intended to rate member's behavior specific to the post the buttons are next to and not to hold grudge on something from gallery comments.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:01:00 AM by Luminaire » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:13:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I always wondered what the '´Karma' thing was...reading this now i know LOL :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:37 AM » Author: RCM442

Also, most of communication here takes place in the gallery comments, but Karma can only be issued through forum posts.  This means those who dislike/like gallery comments can allocate karma to some random post by that person on the forum.  One person with an issue with one person can also repeatedly smite a few times a day.

The smite/applaud function is intended to rate member's behavior specific to the post the buttons are next to and not to hold grudge on something from gallery comments.

Yes, but if you want to applaud or smite someone from a gallery comment, you do it from a forum post!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:51 PM » Author: Luminaire
Yes, but if you want to applaud or smite someone from a gallery comment, you do it from a forum post!

In my opinion, the + or - should correspond to the post for which the reputation is given. It also prevents people who only participate in gallery and do not post in forum from receiving karma.  Unfortunately, the current system allow same user to basically give "you suck, you suck, you suck" or "you rule, you rule, you rule" every 7 hours without having to explain anything and leads to personal sweet hearting or back stabbing.  

Even if the reputation giver remains anonymous, I think the post the reputation was left for should be public and if technically possible, explanation, so we don't have vindictive action from a small number of member repeatedly smacking someone they don't like every time they log-in.  

A good system would allow "+1 good information about xxx" "-1 what you said in post xxx was disrespectful, because of your personal attack".  I don't think differences in opinion is a ground for leaving a negative.    

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:37:29 PM by Luminaire » Logged
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:36 PM » Author: magslight
@Luminaire: I just gave you +1 and I have an explaination for that: I'm absolutly agree to that and I mean instead of smite somebody cause of anything ,say him direct what he did wrong. That would be more personal and may better for the future.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51:58 PM » Author: streetlight98
@Luminaire: I just gave you +1 and I have an explaination for that: I'm absolutly agree to that and I mean instead of smite somebody cause of anything ,say him direct what he did wrong. That would be more personal and may better for the future.

Speaking of Karma, I don't see it anymore on the side...........................

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:32:34 PM » Author: RCM442
It got turned off.....

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

form109

View Posts
View Gallery
Vintage Lighting Forever

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:32:33 AM » Author: form109

Speaking of Karma, I don't see it anymore on the side...........................

The Admins felt it was no longer a nessecary thing to have on the sight,so they got rid of it (or turned off as RCM says)

Personally i think that all Lamp Bans are idiotic,the idea of telling us we cant use this lamp type just cause its less efficent is highly (...) in nature...really what good is it going to do?

magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The sense of ´´Karma´´ « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:54 AM » Author: magslight
I think that's now well done. Everything's said, isn't ? ;D
So , now coming to the next ideas for changes in L-G.net ::) :D
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies