Author Topic: Exploding mercury lamps  (Read 8498 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 08:08:58 PM » Author: Silverliner
European electrical regulations are way better than US regulations! The wiring used for street lighting relies on grounding (or earthing in your language;-)) which is often flawed because sometimes the high resistance in the dirt does not absorb the current in the pole in case of an electrical leakage. A number of people are killed by electricifed light poles every year, sadly. And nope, fuses are not required for light poles.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 02:22:17 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Hey let me know if the kids gets in trouble if you tell the school ;-)  maybe they should pay for the bulb! hmmmm did you get what they looked like? then you could tell the school who it was! Let us know if they get shaken! LOL

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 02:29:45 PM » Author: dp
The light got fixed today, and guess what the replacement lamp is....(drum roll).............Compact fluoresent ES base!The mercury ballast failed and so we removed it and just connected the supply straight to the lampholder and fitted a 150w GLS equivalent warm white OSRAM dulux! That was a bolt from the blue! It works really well, though. Now here's an idea, any mercurl lights over here needing a new lamp will have a cool white compact fluorescent fitted.

Oh yeah, I told the school and they have apparently got the police. I hope they won't come to the door asking questions as I am a shy person!
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 02:32:54 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
YAY....tell me what happens to the kids....hope they go on the newspaper telling the story....people who breaks streetlight deserves to be embarrassed!

Let us know what happens...give us updates!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

dp
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 02:35:47 PM » Author: dp
Ok, will do. I also hope it will be in the local newspaper. Or even the newspaper for the whole world! If it is in thew newspaper anyway, I will scan them and upload it here.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 02:39:41 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
make sure its in the newspaper ;-)   make a BIG DEAL OUTTA IT LOL......

hmph kids will be kids........I just turned 23 two days ago and sometimes I feel like a kid myself.....

mr_big
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 07:15:37 PM » Author: mr_big
I still feel like a kid sometimes but yeah scan the newspaper and well see who they are BTW maybe the mercury lamp exploding had something to do with the ballast failing when it was being shaken
dp
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 07:18:59 PM » Author: dp
Also I have read in the safety instructions of a new mercury lamp that a failing ballast if it gets shorted will make the lamp explode so that might be why it could have possibly shorted while it was being shaken
mr_big
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 09:08:05 PM » Author: mr_big
If you want to know what the lantern looks like, then click on this link to this enthusiast's site:

http://www.freewebs.com/plymouthlighting/gec_z5672.htm

It is a nice lantern isn't it. These ones are common.
mr_big
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 12:20:10 AM » Author: mr_big
Yes A very, very nice lantern
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 03:56:20 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
is that the lantern that had an exploded mercury vapor or a similar one???

Did you find out what happened to the bad bad bad kids?

dp
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 04:35:12 PM » Author: dp
@Jace, the mercury lantern with the exploded lamp was the same modal as the link, but unfortunately no news on the kids. >:(
dp
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 10:00:06 PM » Author: dp
No news still!  >:( :( :'(
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 07:32:22 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
no news still???? I guess never will be any news.....

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Exploding mercury lamps « Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 10:24:13 AM » Author: prawnman88
can't say i have never seen a merc lamp explode
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies