Author Topic: GE starcoat lamps?  (Read 2364 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
GE starcoat lamps? « on: May 13, 2021, 11:05:51 PM » Author: Cole D.
We were cleaning our fluorescent ceiling fixtures recently and I saw the brands of the lamps since the diffusers were removed. Two of them are the Philips Alto lamps with the green caps which I see everywhere. The other have GE "Ecolux with Starcoat" lamps with green colored etches. I thought Starcoat was interesting trademark, but I've never heard of it. Do anyone know what it does?

These are all the thin electronic ballast tubes also.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Desultory13
Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 12:02:19 AM » Author: Desultory13
We were cleaning our fluorescent ceiling fixtures recently and I saw the brands of the lamps since the diffusers were removed. Two of them are the Philips Alto lamps with the green caps which I see everywhere. The other have GE "Ecolux with Starcoat" lamps with green colored etches. I thought Starcoat was interesting trademark, but I've never heard of it. Do anyone know what it does?

These are all the thin electronic ballast tubes also.
Starcoat first appeared during the early 90s as an improved coating intended for GE's new line of T8 lamps.
Starcoat had a much better color rendering than the usual cool white and warm white tubes that were currently available.
Starcoat was even better than the deluxe versions of these colors.
All Starcoat tubes have a very high CRI rating and suffer no lumen loss like some of the deluxe lamps.
In fact Starcoat tubes have even higher lumen ratings, another advantage to this type of coating.
They are very high quality tubes and at one time 3500K T8 Starcoat fluorescents were extremely popular in commercial installations.
While I'm not a fan of T8 fluorescents, these days it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some in the collection.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:06:15 AM by Desultory » Logged
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 12:05:41 AM » Author: AZTECH
I have two GE F40T12 starcoat and silver caps. I think they was very good bright quality lamps.
Desultory13
Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 12:11:53 AM » Author: Desultory13
I have two GE F40T12 starcoat and silver caps. I think they was very good bright quality lamps.
That's interesting. I didn't know that GE used Starcoat on T12 tubes as well, as far as I knew it was only for T8.
I certainly agree with you though, they were very bright and good quality lamps.
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 12:21:09 AM » Author: AZTECH
I'll try take picture and maybe someone can hint when lamps was mfg in. I dont think was common for T12 lamps but sure many T8 lamps. 
Desultory13
Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:24:01 AM » Author: Desultory13
I'll try take picture and maybe someone can hint when lamps was mfg in. I dont think was common for T12 lamps but sure many T8 lamps.
I'm looking forward to seeing these pictures! It will be the first time that I've seen a T12 lamp with Starcoat.
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:28:30 AM » Author: AZTECH
Enjoy take a look!  I just upload it.  :lfl:
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 12:53:02 AM » Author: Cole D.
Thanks for the info! Too bad there does not seem to be much info online about Starcoat. It appears that Lowes and Amazon sell these lamps.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 01:39:18 AM » Author: AZTECH
I also saw at ACE hardware today the GE F96T8 slimline starcoat
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:44:28 PM » Author: thelightingman
I'm looking forward to seeing these pictures! It will be the first time that I've seen a T12 lamp with Starcoat.

Most of my fluorescent tubes are T12 Starcoat tubes. They work very well.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:13:29 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Shouldn't this topic be in the "Lamps" board?

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GE starcoat lamps? « Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 01:36:22 AM » Author: dor123
The Starcoat lamps have triphosphors coating, rather than the halophosphors and the deluxe phosphors of other lamsp, hence their brightness, CRI and lumen maintenance are better.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies