Author Topic: What are your lighting pet peeves?  (Read 24256 times)
mr_big
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 12:48:39 AM » Author: mr_big
The college I go to the library was just remodeled and all the T12 lighting was replaced the ceiling is really high and it's light with T5 uplighting which makes it dim

Also at the same college outside it's lit with 1KW HPS floodlites about 4-5 of em  :o It's too bright and glary

One of the bulbs was cycling  ;D
sotonsteve

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #61 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:47 PM » Author: sotonsteve
The highways department at Southampton City Council tend to use full cut-off luminaires on new schemes along with white light sources, which gives a pleasant, low glare, high quality light with little light pollution.

The education department has installed non-cut off luminaires in a school next to this road, which run HPS and give out an artificial, high glare, poorer quality light with lots of light pollution, and makes driving along the nearby road more unpleasant and slightly more dangerous.
GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 11:01:37 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
Seeing those god awful Durastar fixtures!

I was offered a Durastar fixture and i said " i would rather die then have one of those ugly hidious peices of junk".

(sorry durastar lovers)

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

Mr. Big
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 08:30:38 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Seeing those god awful Durastar fixtures!

I was offered a Durastar fixture and i said " i would rather die then have one of those ugly hidious peices of junk".

(sorry durastar lovers)
I don't think anyone here "loves" them loves to smash them is more the word ;D
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 09:55:11 PM » Author: FGS
If I was offered one, I would take it in. Ugly as sin, but since no one is willing to take them in it will be a rare piece when AEL stop making them and the ones already in existence and in use succumbs to vandalism and age which is really short.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 03:33:18 PM » Author: sparkie
I have another pet peeve that I forgot to mention before...  Badly designed and/or maintained HID floodlighting, especially when it is in a hazardous environment.

Like the case of an indoor swimming pool that I go to quite often. The deep end is lit from above with 8 HPS floodlights - but over the last year 7 of them have died completely and as of last week the one light that still 'works' has started cycling! .... When it goes out all that's left to illuminate that area are the MV underwater lights, but - not surprisingly - most of these are glowing a dim sicky colour as they haven't been replaced for years   :o >:( 
Also, due to the way the building is wired, when any big electrical load switches on it knocks out a lot of the HPS lights around the other side of the pool - which leaves the entire space extremely dim (not much daylight comes in due to the windows being covered with insulation) while these lamps cool down before re-striking!

As you can imagine that place is VERY creepy at night.... I would really like to get a picture of it but cameras are forbidden there, I wonder why.

This must be seriously unsafe as how are the lifeguards supposed to spot anyone in trouble if the lighting is so dingy ?  :(

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:23:22 PM by sparkie » Logged
form109
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #66 on: June 22, 2008, 04:36:13 PM » Author: form109
I have another pet peeve that I forgot to mention before...  Badly designed and/or maintained HID floodlighting, especially when it is in a hazardous environment.

Like the case of an indoor swimming pool that I go to quite often. The deep end is lit from above with 8 HPS floodlights - but over the last year 7 of them have died completely and as of last week the one light that still 'works' has started cycling! .... When it goes out all that's left to illuminate that area are the MV underwater lights, but - not surprisingly - most of these are glowing a dim sicky colour as they haven't been replaced for years   :o >:( 
Also, due to the way the building is wired, when any big electrical load switches on it knocks out a lot of the HPS lights around the other side of the pool - which leaves the entire space extremely dim (not much daylight comes in due to the windows being covered with insulation) while these lamps cool down before re-striking!

As you can imagine that place is VERY creepy at night.... I would really like to get a picture of it but cameras are forbidden there, I wonder why.

This must be seriously unsafe as how are the lifeguards supposed to spot anyone in trouble if the lighting is so dingy ?  :(

Maybe cameras are forbidden so they can continue getting away with the creepy lighting! as for the greened out MV, I love the color of the greened out ones! at least they aren't MH! those would have probably exploded by now!
chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #67 on: August 14, 2008, 05:47:17 PM » Author: chapman84
If I was offered one, I would take it in. Ugly as sin, but since no one is willing to take them in it will be a rare piece when AEL stop making them and the ones already in existence and in use succumbs to vandalism and age which is really short.

durauglys will never be classics simple as that,even years after they quit making them.
form109
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 08:15:31 PM » Author: form109
Communities that install 400 watt high pressure sodium fixtures on quiet residential streets where there's barely any traffic. Now that's just crazy.
form109
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:31 PM » Author: form109
Communities that install 400 watt high pressure sodium fixtures on quiet residential streets where there's barely any traffic. Now that's just crazy.

same here,well actually sometimes here they install 200 watt hps fixtures on side streets,not quite as bad as 400 but still too bright for side streets.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:57 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Even I was told 150 watt HPS is too bright and I live in neighborhood that has five 150 watt HPS, posttops 4 Cooper Traditionares and one GE Salem, good thing they are very far apart.....the GE Salem is the one in front of my house!

One of my other petpeeve is that in some electric companies, since MV was banned, if a MV is replaced, instead of replacing from 400 watt to 250 watt HPS, they replace from 400 watt MV to 400 watt HPS!!!! That's not really that green...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are your lighting pet peeves? « Reply #71 on: November 23, 2008, 05:18:51 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Long topic, new link for this topic is What are your pet peeves relating to lighting

This topic in this link is now locked

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies