Author Topic: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple  (Read 8241 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « on: May 23, 2021, 02:17:17 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Apparently AEL Autobahns aren’t as good as we all thought. Apparently these issues have been found all over the US. That would explain the purple glowing ATBX I saw in York.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJn5N_IGKg

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:26:59 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I saw a purple ATB2 on I-5 in Jefferson, Oregon, which can be seen here. Those lights were probably made in a bad batch, including the one I saw in Oregon. It seems like the bad batch was made sometime between 2017 and 2018(?)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:30:13 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:54:58 AM » Author: mdcastle
I never considered them to be especially good in the first place. MnDOT configures their lights to be driven towards the top of the range leading to a lot of failures (although they're convinced the reason for the failures are an overvoltage condition when a neutral gets severed when a pole gets knocked down) for both the Autobahns and the Navions. The earlier Philips Roadview seem to be a lot more reliable, and every one of the first LEDs on the interstate system, the 2008 I-35W bridge, are still working.
magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 09:20:43 AM » Author: magslight
Cool having colored streetlighting 8)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:16:28 AM » Author: Lumex120
I never considered them to be especially good in the first place. MnDOT configures their lights to be driven towards the top of the range leading to a lot of failures (although they're convinced the reason for the failures are an overvoltage condition when a neutral gets severed when a pole gets knocked down) for both the Autobahns and the Navions. The earlier Philips Roadview seem to be a lot more reliable, and every one of the first LEDs on the interstate system, the 2008 I-35W bridge, are still working.
Do you have any idea who made the lights on the I-35W bridge? I've always thought they were really cool even though they aren't very bright. They were the first LED streetlights I ever saw.

Unofficial LG Discord

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:01:11 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Do you have any idea who made the lights on the I-35W bridge? I've always thought they were really cool even though they aren't very bright. They were the first LED streetlights I ever saw.
Get a pic, then I can identify it.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 01:06:33 PM » Author: Lumex120
Get a pic, then I can identify it.
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3809&pos=19&pid=135292

Unofficial LG Discord

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 03:34:11 PM » Author: mdcastle
Someone else though they were a BetaLED product but Cree claims that they're "Cree Edge"
https://www.creelighting.com/applications/case-studies/i-35w-st-anthonys-fall-bridge
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 05:28:44 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Someone else though they were a BetaLED product but Cree claims that they're "Cree Edge"
https://www.creelighting.com/applications/case-studies/i-35w-st-anthonys-fall-bridge
Cree aquired BetaLED, the model depends on the age.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:23 PM » Author: Lumex120
Oh wow that's interesting! I had no idea they actually had information on their website about the bridge installation.

Unofficial LG Discord

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 09:53:11 PM » Author: High Intensity
BetaLED was part of RUUD lighting, who was acquired by Cree back in late 2011, so if the fixtures were made sometime before or possibly very shortly after Cree bought RUUD, then they would be BetaLED fixtures.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 09:15:19 AM » Author: Cole D.
This is now happening, in my area, on a section that was group installed at some point in 2019. So they are approximately two years old.

There is one that is dark purple, I noticed it first. Then this week it was raining so the lights were on, and I noticed that they all have a slight purple color to them. It is very interesting, especially the darker one.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 09:45:04 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
these are very common, there everywhere 1 in 3 leds are purple
Apparently the AEL Autobahns aren't as reliable as we all thought. :P

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:25 PM » Author: Econolite03
Here in CA, I haven’t seen any Autobahns turning purple, but I’ve seen lumen depreciation and a slight shift in color temperature, primarily in older models.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Charlotte AEL Autobahns turning purple « Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 02:38:13 AM » Author: thelightingman
Have there been any problems with the AEL ATB0's? My town has quite a few as spot replacements.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies