Author Topic: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast?  (Read 1136 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « on: May 31, 2021, 06:22:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I see the words “reactor” and “choke” being used for single coil ballasts that are wired in series with the lamp, I see that the word “reactor” is more frequently associated with single coil HID ballasts for the North American market and rarely used in the context of single coil fluorescent ballasts and the word “choke” is more frequently associated with single coil HID ballasts for the European market and single coil fluorescent ballasts in general and rarely used in the context of single coil HID ballasts for the North American market. Do the words “reactor” and “choke” have different meanings or are they essentially the same thing?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 07:24:58 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
“Reactor” and “choke” are two terms for the same thing: a simple induction coil being used to limit the current. :)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 08:54:35 PM » Author: dor123
HX ballast is also considered "Reactor", compared to CWA which is "Autoregulator".

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:57:17 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
HX ballast is also considered "Reactor", compared to CWA which is "Autoregulator".

Dor123, Both HX AND CWA ballasts have integral step up or step down transformers while “reactor” ballasts are just plain inductors by themselves without having a transformer in them at all.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 04:46:39 AM » Author: dor123
But CWA is capacitive autoregulator ballast and HX is a reactive ballast.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:26:12 AM » Author: Medved
Dor123, Both HX AND CWA ballasts have integral step up or step down transformers while “reactor” ballasts are just plain inductors by themselves without having a transformer in them at all.

The HX uses just linear reactance, but the CWA uses a form of feedback/amplifier (the saturating piece of magnetic circuit is a form of amplifier) current control. So the way it regulates the load current is way more complex than just a reactance in the circuit.

No more selfballasted c***

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What is the difference between a reactor and a choke ballast? « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 07:52:21 PM » Author: Silverliner
Nothing. Reactor and choke are the same ballast type. Just different cultures between USA and Europe using different words. Same idea between ballast and gear.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies