Author Topic: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp??  (Read 1073 times)
ramdude2014

View Posts
View Gallery

Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « on: June 02, 2021, 04:15:06 PM » Author: ramdude2014
What ballast can u use for my 55 watt lps lamp! I want to use a fulham ballast but am unsure of model and wiring? HELP!! Can I use a workhorse 7 or 8?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:24:29 PM by ramdude2014 » Logged

Next stop gate T17!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:32:25 PM » Author: funkybulb
  Advance 2x 32 watt instant start ballast with it output wired in parallel can drive 58 watt Fluorescent or 55 watt sox lamps.

Just get a fullham ballast that drives a pair of F32 lamps

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

ramdude2014

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 06:03:41 PM » Author: ramdude2014
Can u show me a picture of the wiring style?

Next stop gate T17!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:36:59 PM » Author: funkybulb
  It one red wire that is tied together to one end of both lamps
    And two blues goes on one of each 4 foot lamp on other end
     But u are combining two blues from ballast together to double the lamp current.

Red —— [  lamp 1] ——-   1 Blue from ballast

——— red

Red ——- [  lamp 2 ] —— 2nd blue from ballast

To wire for 58 watt fluorescent and 55 watt sox lamp

Red from ballast——- [  sox lamp } —- blue 1 and 2 combined from ballast

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

ramdude2014

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:54:43 AM » Author: ramdude2014
So would a sylvania quicktronic for 2x32 lamps work as well.. I dont believe I have anymore advance ballasts for 2x32!?

Next stop gate T17!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 09:34:42 AM » Author: funkybulb
 As long as ballast instant type that allows one wire to each end of the lamp.   It 55 watt sox needs a very high ocv about 600 or
 700 volt to strike.   By combining the output leads it doubles the current 270 mA.   Wich it brings near 600 mA that  sox lamp needs.  This can only be done on Instant  electronic ballast

The program ( rapid start ) ballast wiring style will  not work
   One it have eol protection that it need the cathode to complete the  circuit

Second Sox lamp cathode could never be preheated
    So u treat the Sox LPS as a instant start fluorescent lamps

That why UK have a ignitor and choke set up.

In the US it dont make any sense.  Becase we have to use a auto transformer style of ballast with very high ocv.  Once arc strikes it the saturation of the auto transformer keeps the arc current from going too high.  Nice thing about sox lamp and leak style ballast.  That the sox lamp can hot restrike.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 09:58:51 AM » Author: Medved
So would a sylvania quicktronic for 2x32 lamps work as well.. I dont believe I have anymore advance ballasts for 2x32!?

Only if the ballast uses a single wire for each lamp end (so instant start without any filament heating connection at all).
Otherwise the thing becomes very tricky, how to deal with the wires normally going to the filament.
Because even when both wires for a single lamp end have the same color and could be connected in either way across that filament, they are not equivalent within the ballast circuit.
So you would have to ientify the correct wire to use, or with some circuits connect the wires together (you do not have any choice, it is dictated by the circuit used within the given ballast).
Plus the makers tend to change the real circuit behind the same ballast "model". So it may look the same, have the same wiring for the fluorescent tubes, behave the same way, yet when used with lamps like LPS may require completely different wiring. So you may reverse engineer one ballast to get the wiring for the LPS, but later on with another, seemingly equivalent, piece the same wiring wont work at all.

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Fulham ballast for 55 watt Sox lamp?? « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 03:15:47 PM » Author: lights*plus
Workhorse 7 or 8 ballasts are too costly and I would use just one of their outputs. Use the WH5 as shown here or you can use the WH3.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies