Author Topic: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp  (Read 1072 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « on: July 03, 2021, 05:11:17 AM » Author: dor123
What is the cooling down time before hot restrike of the EYE Moon Pulse MV lamp?
Is it shorter than regular MV lamps?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 05:30:19 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 02:25:11 PM » Author: arcblue
I suspect the cooling down time is the same (I don't think there's a difference in vapor pressure), but the starting method of the PSMH ballast considerably decreases the time to restrike (it doesn't need to cool down as much to relight).

I did a test this morning. Two fully enclosed fixtures, a 70w PSMH (M98 ballast) with 75w Moon Pulse lamp and the other, a 100w H38 ballast running a conventional ED17 mercury lamp. Same ambient temperature, lamps running continuously 15 minutes before restrike. Warm up time for both lamps is (at least noticeably) the same.

I am measuring the time from the arc extinguishing (power off) to the time the arc is re-established:

Moon Pulse: 1 minute, 14 seconds
100w standard mercury: 3 minutes, 30 seconds

No glowing or flickering was observed just before restrike, but the rooms were not completely dark.

Sometime I need to see if my EYE 100w mercury lamps have a slightly shorter restrike due to the presence of two starting probes, one by each electrode.

I'm lampin...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 10:23:16 PM » Author: dor123
I expected it to have shorter hot restrike time than regular MV lamp, due to the presence of a HV ignitor.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:47 AM » Author: Medved
I expected it to have shorter hot restrike time than regular MV lamp, due to the presence of a HV ignitor.

But don't forget the starting probe isn't there anymore. So to me back to "square one" - ballpark the same as a regular MV.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:38:07 PM » Author: dor123
But the ignition voltage of the EYE Moon Pulse lamp is much higher than the regular MV lamp, so even if there is no starting electrode, I would expects the lamp to restrike faster.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 02:42:41 PM » Author: Medved
But the ignition voltage of the EYE Moon Pulse lamp is much higher than the regular MV lamp, so even if there is no starting electrode, I would expects the lamp to restrike faster.

I would expect bot ignition voltages (pulse start vs probe start) scale up with the temperature about the same way (just the pulse start will require the about 5x higher voltage than the probe start, when both at the same temperature, regardless what that temperature it will be). So when cold 200V is about enough to ignite probe start and 1kV pulse start, when both are hot, the ignition voltage may reach easily 1kV for probe and 5kV for pulse start lamp, both way above what their ballast provide.
Plus the pulse start has no probe to actually help sustain the discharge after initial ignition till the electrodes warm up again.

But generally I would guess the MoonPulse was intentionally designed so it was compatible with a standard gear, which may feature a timed igitor (some ignitors provide cool down delay after the lamp extinguishes before they start pulsing again, to prevent the electrode sputter from the HV pulses when the lamp isn't able to hold the discharge yet on its own), so the lamp has to be compatible with the timing these provide (designed for MH or HPS, depends on which ballast it is).

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 10:06:27 AM » Author: dor123
So why probe-start MH lamps have much longer hot resetrike than pulse-start MH lamps?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hot restrike time of Iwasaki Moon Pulse lamp « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 10:52:32 AM » Author: Medved
There are at least three effects in play:
They have way beefier so heavier arctubes, so it takes longer time for them to cool down. The smaller arctube of pulse start lamps lose the heat quicker.
The fact the beefy probe start lamps operate at lower temperature means they loose heat way slower than the way hotter operating smaller tubes of the pulse start lamps.
Plus there is that bimetal switch, which has to open first before the lamp could restrike. It uses to be set to rather low temperature to make sure it gets closed really as soon as possible after the lamp ignites, so it then takes long time to cool down to that low temperature (where the radiation is very weak, so it takes way longer to loose that residual heat).

Dunno which of these three is the dominant one, probably combination of all and the exact contribution then depends on the exact lamp model...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies