Author Topic: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures?  (Read 2002 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « on: August 08, 2021, 02:53:19 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As I know that many 1920s and 1930s schoolhouse pendant fixtures in North America often used 300w PS35 mogul based incandescent lamps and some smaller fixtures even using lower wattage incandescent lamps concealed within a milk glass shade to diffuse the bright glary filament, I am beginning to wonder whether there were any 1920s and 1930s schoolhouse pendant fixtures that actually used 750w, 1000w, and 1500w PS52 mogul based incandescent lamps concealed within milk glass shades as well. If such huge schoolhouse pendant fixtures exist, I would love to see pictures of these huge fixtures.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 11:15:16 AM » Author: nogden
I've never seen one but I wonder, too!
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 01:05:46 PM » Author: joseph_125
They were probably a bit rarer compared to 500w and lower fixture but 1000w versions were made. They usually had a massive globe at around 20-22" in diameter.

Here's an example of one.

The Miller Company also made such a light. They also made some cool stuff like combo MV and incandescent pendant luminaires for office/school use. See here
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 01:48:41 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
They were probably a bit rarer compared to 500w and lower fixture but 1000w versions were made. They usually had a massive globe at around 20-22" in diameter.

Here's an example of one.

The Miller Company also made such a light. They also made some cool stuff like combo MV and incandescent pendant luminaires for office/school use. See here
Neat!  :D
Could you find a catalog that includes Miller’s fluorescent fixtures like the T17 fixture I have a video of in my gallery?  :wndr: If not, that’s OK.  :)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 07:33:43 PM » Author: joseph_125
The one I linked to above has some fluorescent fixtures in it but I don't think any T17 ones as it's from 1939.

This one might have what you're looking for.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:02 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Thanks! Now I have more info on my T17 fixture!   :D
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 07:49:47 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I also wonder if schoolhouse pendant fixtures appeared in North America in the 1910s or earlier than that.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 07:07:21 AM » Author: Ugly1
When I was in second grade in 1957, I recall these fixtures being used in the classrooms. One day I remember the custodian changing a burnt out bulb and the teacher complaining that the classroom lighting was dim even with all five fixtures working. The custodian told the teacher that if they installed bulbs higher than 100 watts it would blow the fuses. The school was built about 1900. I could see from my desk what was apparently the original hall clock in the corridor. It had a pendulum and the custodian had to rewind it about once a week.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 01:25:10 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I was in second grade in 1957, I recall these fixtures being used in the classrooms. One day I remember the custodian changing a burnt out bulb and the teacher complaining that the classroom lighting was dim even with all five fixtures working. The custodian told the teacher that if they installed bulbs higher than 100 watts it would blow the fuses. The school was built about 1900. I could see from my desk what was apparently the original hall clock in the corridor. It had a pendulum and the custodian had to rewind it about once a week.

@Ugly1, in reference to your comment, it could be possible that the fuses in your school were probably replaced with an amp rating that is too low since schoolhouse pendants in classrooms would typically use 300w PS35 mogul base incandescent lamps or 500w PS40 mogul base incandescent lamps.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:34:45 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 750-1500w incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures? « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 12:47:49 PM » Author: Ugly1
  It has to be remembered that tungsten filament lamps had not been invented yet. Even low wattage carbon filament lamps would have been an improvement over lighting schoolrooms with gas. Apparently in my school a number of classrooms were powered from one circuit. There were no outlets in the classrooms since there really wasn’t anything to plug in.
We lived in an apartment constructed in 1925. There was two fuses for the entire place. One 15 amp fuse for one outlet in the kitchen, and one 15 amp fuse for eight ceiling light fixtures and one outlet in the living room, another in the dining room.
Using a vacuum cleaner caused all the lights to dim. We finally got an air conditioner for one room, but you had to make sure not too many lights were turned on or the fuse blew.
By the way, the school I have been talking about was Public School 5, Astoria, Queens, New York City, built in the early 1900’s. It was an obsolete masonry walled building with all wood inside construction. A new school had almost been completed across the street from this building. In 1967, one young boy decided to play with matches in a coat closet. My dear little sister and over eight hundred students and teachers were in the building. Thanks to the strict adherence to fire drill training, everyone got out OK. Someone ran by my house and told my parents the school was on fire. All my parents could think about as they rushed to the school was the fire at the Catholic School in Chicago, where 98 children and Nuns lost there lives.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies