Author Topic: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer  (Read 1464 times)
boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « on: August 21, 2021, 01:17:49 PM » Author: boiledcabbages
Hi all. Me again. I have been looking all over for original wire wound magnetic ballasts and I can't seem to find anywhere, so I have decided to take the leap and make my own. Now this of course is no trivial task and requires a fair amount of enginerding. I'm busy crunching the numbers as we speak but to be sure I'm doing it right I just wanna ask you guys something. Are the spec sheets of the SOX lamps (this one in particular https://www.assets.lighting.philips.com/is/content/PhilipsLighting/fp928145700008-pss-global) given with RMS correction or not. It can be worked with either way but it's important to know so you can include it in calculations. Needless to say if I succeed I will post the results and schematics I've come up with for another brave soul to try if they so wish. I was also wondering if instead of using an ignitor coil using RF HV to energize the neon could be an option? It wouldn't serve any practical purpose for my project but it would be fun to try and I have always liked HV and RF HV is even more fun :eoled: anyway I look forward to hearing from you guys and feel free to give me any suggestions
boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 01:38:21 PM » Author: boiledcabbages
Oh and just for clarity's sake when I mention RF HV I mean radio frequency high voltage. Imagine a small low power high voltage high frequency circuit (akin to something like a tesla coil) where the electrode is wrapped helically around the SOX lamp to cause immediate ionization of the neon
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 01:45:34 PM » Author: Rommie
I've found a listing on UK eBay for a genuine 26W SOX-E ballast, see here - it's not badly priced, but you will of course need an ignitor as well. Ideally an SX26 but an SX72 will work ok, see here.

Best of luck if you do try making one, though  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 03:56:34 AM » Author: boiledcabbages
That does make my life a lot easier. So I will likely get it. I'll continue to design the ballast just as an extra project, who knows it might be useful to someone one day. Just a question on the ballast itself. Does it have a built in capacitor already? (as I am aware some do and just don't want to buy a cap unnecessarily)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 04:21:48 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
By the looks of it, the ballast is just a plain series choke with no capacitor wired to it.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 04:38:00 AM » Author: boiledcabbages
That was also my thought, however looking at the included circuit diagram for the ballast it appears to not need a capacitor.
Although there is a section of the diagram that's faded in picture that appears like it might be a capacitor. But I'll only be able to properly tell once I have received it
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 04:41:48 AM by boiledcabbages » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Designing dual magnetic ballast + transformer « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 07:00:46 AM » Author: Rommie
It's a simple choke ballast, so no series capacitor needed. A 5µF capacitor across the incoming supply for power factor correction is usually used, though. It's not essential, but my sense of completeness means I always include one.

Oh, what looks like a capacitor in that diagram is the N indicating neutral.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:48:45 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies