Author Topic: Are the Nema labels universal?  (Read 917 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Are the Nema labels universal? « on: August 28, 2021, 02:46:57 AM » Author: lights*plus
I belong to an Astronomy forum where a discussion of light-pollution mentioned wattages. I gave the heads-up on the NEMA codes one can actually see for the wattages on the streetlights.

Someone from Australia asked if the NEMA codes are followed there. I said I'll get back to him. Are NEMA tags used in Australia & the U.K.??
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Are the Nema labels universal? « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 09:09:10 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yes but it’s unclear in what form, back in our SOX era no there was nothing like that, but it was introduced with the onset of LED lanterns, ours on our street have a yellow label with the letter ‘P’ , no idea though what this represents?, and I don’t know what their wattage is either?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are the Nema labels universal? « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 10:27:07 AM » Author: Rommie
There are no labels of any kind on the lights around here, nor have there ever been as far as I'm aware.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Are the Nema labels universal? « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 09:01:53 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From what I can tell, NEMA tags for street lanterns are mostly used in North and South American countries.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Are the Nema labels universal? « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 10:59:16 PM » Author: lights*plus
I swear, until I die, I'll be learning something new!

Thanks for all the info!
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are the Nema labels universal? « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 10:24:16 AM » Author: Rommie
From what I can tell, NEMA tags for street lanterns are mostly used in North and South American countries.
NEMA stands for National Electrical Manufacturers Association which is a US organisation, so that follows. Whether other countries follow their practices or not is presumably up to them.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies