Author Topic: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway  (Read 5205 times)
mr_big
What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « on: October 12, 2006, 08:07:03 PM » Author: mr_big
Hi all,

I have this problem, now that the nights are getting shorter and shorter here, I need all night operation for where the halogen light is.

I disconnected the PIR and connected the halogen floodlight straight to the SS4D photocell kit.

The problem is that the bill is a little higher and the secondary meter we have installed in the shed is spinning a bit fast when it is on.

What I would like is that it can't be incandescent, halogen or fluorescent lighting.

There is also a path between the house and the shed. It is pitch black and downright dangerous as it gets icy in the winter there.

I need these both to be all night operation, as my dad uses his motorbike, I have my bicycle and other things in the shed which I may need at night time.

Any suggestions?
dp
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:12:41 PM » Author: dp
Sounds like there is a resistive short somewhere
mr_big
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:22:40 PM » Author: mr_big
Yeah, the halogen light is disconnected now. There are more needs for access as I just remembered we have a big chest freezer and our tumble dryer is in there. Our washing machine may eventually get plumbed in there as well, but we have to get a plumber. I would say mercury for above the doorway. I would prefer nice old GEC lanterns to light the way (1960s model)
mr_big
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:23:46 PM » Author: mr_big
Cool did the halogen light have a transformer
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:29:24 PM » Author: prawnman88
a higher single cfl ?
dp
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:33:01 PM » Author: dp
No,= it didn't have a transformer, and the PIR snesor is disconnected, check out my pictures of it on the shed:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-8568

You can see the photocell behind it (white cone on a black body) these photocells are like the USA twist locks, they are very common over here as well.
mr_big
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 08:35:14 PM » Author: mr_big
@prawnman88 I would try that, but I need to use 2 as the path is beside the house here the door for the shed sn't so there'll be no light. I also want to try out an old 1960s 35w SOX light at the depot after being used.
dp
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 08:37:59 PM » Author: dp
I see you have a lot of brownouts I don't have a battery backup to plug my stuff into but I can still use my computer without the internet though if the power is out I have an old westinghouse NEMA head with a new photocell on it that turns on the MV lamp when the power dips but my laptop stinks at handling brownouts even with the battery it usually freezes when there is a brownout
BTW my computer is a piece of !@#$
mr_big
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 08:43:44 PM » Author: mr_big
Brownouts will be a problem with mercury for sure as it will need to cool down. Maybe a LPS\SOX above the door? After all, SOX is my faourite source.

We only have brownouts in bad weather, maybe it is Pylons arcing? It is even worse when it is snowing, lights flicker a lot. That would play havoc with the cell! I'll just fit a different cell there!

Out of curiousity, what is the make of your computer? Mines is homebuilt, the old one is Gateway and that is going to be moved to inside the shed.
dp
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:22 PM » Author: dp
Mine is an Acer TravelMate 4020 worst computer ever made yet I know someone who has the same one and has had no problems with it >:(
dp
Re: What would you recommend for lighting the entrance to the shed and pathway « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:33:29 PM » Author: dp
Anyway, looking at Colin Grime's photos, I decided to use as the SOX lantern the Thorn Alpha 1, fitted with 55w SOX, anyway see Colin's photo of one:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-7849

The control gear has to be mounted inside, it will be in a box because that it will be mounted above the dryer because of where the lantern is going, just the other side of the wall.

For the mercury side of things, I was hoping to use a:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4840

Neat lanterns, eh? Will be mounted on a wall bracket, mind.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies