Author Topic: MH and MV  (Read 1651 times)
KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

MH and MV « on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:01 PM » Author: KEDER
Not sure if thos goes in lamps.. but here goes:

How do Mercury vapor lamps work in Metal halide ballasts, but metal halide dosent work well in Mercury vapor ballasts of the same wattage? hmm, why is it that way? cause if i get a 400w Mercury vapor lamp it will work in my metal halide ballast right? cool. but i just wanna know why it works that way.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: MH and MV « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:00 PM » Author: lite_lover
The metal halide lamps need a slightly higher voltage to start and operate compared to the mercury.

The brighter the better.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH and MV « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:39 AM » Author: Medved
The start is the reason, why probe start MH need higher OCV. It is possible to overcome it by using low voltage (<1000V pulse) ignitor. Such ignitor you might made by connecting 240V/150W (or two 120V/75..100W) incandescents in series with fluorescent starter rated for 40..80W lamps (i don't know the type marking of these in US, somebody might help you here) and connect this string in parallel with the lamp.
You should never use HV ignitors (>1.5kV; those for Pulse-MH or HPS), as they might trigger an arc in the outer bulb when attempting hot restrike, even if they appear (obviously, with the higher voltage) as more reliable - they might easily kill the lamp.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies