Author Topic: 2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout  (Read 3032 times)
yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout « on: September 08, 2021, 10:57:32 PM » Author: yuandrew
Ten years ago on September 8, 2011; a mistake during maintenance at a substation in Yuma, AZ triggered a chain of events which culminated in a widespread power outage that affected the southwest region of the US and a portion of Baja California, Mexico. Particularly affected was much of San Diego county serviced by San Diego Gas & Electric.

The following video was taken in the northern San Diego County city of Encinitas as well as a part of Carlsbad near the end where they pass by the former Encina power station, noted for its landmark 400 foot (~122 meter) tall smokestack. "Jersey series" induction, decorative "acorns", GE M400A2 and A3 full-cutoffs, and even some Norelco Low Pressure Sodium fixtures are visible but there would be no streetlights on this particular evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Xq59Me55A

*The traffic signals that are still operating or in a flashing red "4-way stop" mode are equipped with battery backup

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: 2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:36:52 AM » Author: Econolite03
Interesting, I actually visited this part of San Diego county in 2011 weeks before this outage happened but didn’t remember it. I like watching videos like this, especially since this was back when the area still had some of the old lights which I vividly remember.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: 2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 06:34:32 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Interesting. My grandpa used to work for SDG&E. I wonder if he remembers this.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:02:32 PM » Author: Medved
Was somewhere published what was the exact nature of the offending mistake?

No more selfballasted c***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: 2011 Southwest (San Diego) Blackout « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:36:35 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That all looks normal until it goes dark, then it’s just creepy!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies