Author Topic: Why did some schoolhouse fixtures use their own pull chains?  (Read 1230 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why did some schoolhouse fixtures use their own pull chains? « on: September 10, 2021, 05:39:45 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After browsing the web for images that feature the interiors of buildings from the 1920s to the 1930s in which schoolhouse fixtures are installed, I have noticed that in some cases, there were schoolhouse fixtures that had their own pull chains instead of having multiple wired to one switch in a single room. Why were some schoolhouse fixtures manufactured with integral pull chains?

Here is an example of a building with schoolhouse fixtures with their own individual pull chains:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1-1920s-office-scene-underwood-archives.html

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Why did some schoolhouse fixtures use their own pull chains? « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 10:10:41 PM » Author: Cole D.
Possibly just that earlier electrical sometimes didn't have wall switches, so the switches were on the fixtures themselves. This was pretty common in early residential wiring, I would have thought businesses would more commonly have had wall switches though.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Why did some schoolhouse fixtures use their own pull chains? « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:41:09 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
After browsing the web for images that feature the interiors of buildings from the 1920s to the 1930s in which schoolhouse fixtures are installed, I have noticed that in some cases, there were schoolhouse fixtures that had their own pull chains instead of having multiple wired to one switch in a single room. Why were some schoolhouse fixtures manufactured with integral pull chains?

Here is an example of a building with schoolhouse fixtures with their own individual pull chains:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1-1920s-office-scene-underwood-archives.html

I do not remember any school house classroom lights with pull chains. Those would be in other areas were teachers and other personel worked because they were turned on only as necessary. Further, school systems did not want kids fiddling around with turning lights on-and-off, so they were in restricted areas. The old classroom fixtures as I recall (with milk-glass globes) hung on chains were placed over student seating and controlled by multiple switches. Some had a special key to prevent kids tampering with them :-) As I recall there were three lights in a row with three rows in each regular-sized classroom (nine-total), going front-to-back. I think they had 200W lamps inside them. Each row was controlled by an individual switch (that was typically I assume rated around 660W), so three switches; and they were on the wall near the entry door as I also recall.

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies