Author Topic: Old home service entrance  (Read 671 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Old home service entrance « on: September 12, 2021, 02:09:07 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've noticed on some of the older homes the electrical service entrances are sometimes primitive. I think many of these have been replaced over the years, but on abandoned houses I've seen some. Often where the service wires enter the house, the wires are very low mounted. There is often not a mast or cap where the wires enter, they just wrap around ceramic insulators. Some of the old homes would have a very small fuse box right on the front porch where the wires enter, maybe a 30 or 50 amp service? The meter boxes were also much smaller than more modern ones, often round, or very small square ones.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this before.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old home service entrance « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 02:37:43 PM » Author: sol
Yes, I have noticed that. Some houses here still have A-base meter sockets although the power company has been using adapters to use standard meters for years (and smart meters now).

Another thing that was common in old installations was three uninsulated wires anchored to three (usually brown) ceramic insulators screwed into the house. There were some smaller services that were 120V only and only had two uninsulated wires. Most if not all of these have been changed to triplex insulated drops. You still find the odd outbuilding wired like that but those are all behind the meter and privately owned.

All meter base replacements are now the rectangular ones regardless of the low amperage service. Of course, large services all have appropriate equipment.

I believe that those old installations that do not meet code are grandfathered but they must be updated if they need work.
Gearjammer
Re: Old home service entrance « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:19 PM » Author: Gearjammer
Now here's a question that I enjoy even though sol covered it perfectly.

Until about the mid 50s before triplex cables became common, services were run using individual conductors.

In the 20s, and the 30s, 2 wire was normally what was installed.
These services only provided 120v and they were no more than 30 amps.
Usually the house only had 2 circuits.

By the 40s, 3 wire services supplying 240 volts 60 amps became common.
The fuse boxes had 4 circuits plus a stove circuit.

60 amp service remained common well into the 50s, but by then the number of circuits increased and by the time the 50s, came to an end 100 amp services started to appear.

The old style round meter cans are rated for a maximum of 60 amps.
During the late 50s, these were required to be grounded.

The small square meter boxes are usually 100 amp services but it's not uncommon to find them being used for a 60 amp service.
These are always required to be grounded.

Interestingly enough sometimes the service wasn't run in conduit.
Sometimes service entrance cable was used.
It looks like oversized Romex cable.
You won't see it unless you find an old installation that hasn't been replaced.
At one time service entrance cable was allowed to be used to for circuits for the stove, dryer, air conditioner, just about any high current 240v appliance.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Old home service entrance « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 04:16:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
Thanks for all the info everyone! Yes, I have seen that cloth wiring used for the service entrance. The old cottage next door was set up that way. It had a round meter socket, and the fuse box was a Square D that had I think 6 fuses. I'm guessing that was maybe a 60 amp service? It had an electric stove, a window A/C, and an electric water heater, so maybe it was more. I'd guess it was wired in the early 1950s. It actually also had originally knob and tube wiring which was abandoned. Somebody had cut off all the wires, but there were still ceramic tubes with pieces of wire left in the rafters. It also had a porcelain device with two fuse sockets mounted up above the ceiling for the K&T wiring. I kept some of the tubes but unfortunately wasn't able to get the fuse holder. That cottage had brown NT&M ungrounded receptacles, I have one of them.

I think the meter was grounded on that house, but I don't remember for sure. One thing I heard was if the meter wasn't grounded, that whenever the lightning would strike, that blue sparks would come from the outlets in houses. Also the light bulbs would blow out.

And, yeah I've seen them like that before with the three conductors. I actually have one of those brown screw in insulators somewhere. My grandma gave it to me actually, it says Illinois on it.

Some of the older services I notice also had rectangular weather caps with two holes, instead of the round ones they use now with multiple.

I just noticed this topic should really be in Off-Topic.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies