Author Topic: Running a Sox lamp  (Read 901 times)
Matronblatzbarg

View Posts
View Gallery

Running a Sox lamp « on: September 18, 2021, 02:03:06 PM » Author: Matronblatzbarg
Hi there!
Last month I bought 3x35W sox lamps and got them shipped to my brother who lives in Germany. In two weeks I am going to visit him and taking the sox lamps to Iceland, where I live. So now I have two questions:
1) Is it going to be safe to take the sox lamps on an airplane? (I know the importance of packing them safely in so they won't get broken. I am mostly thinking of the changes of the air-pressiure up there. Is that going to be an issue?)
2) If I get the sox lamps safely to Iceland, what is the easyest and cheapest way to run them?
I think I read once a post here that it is possible to use a 36W fluorecent ballast and glowstarter to run a 35W sox lamp. But I can't find that discussion again. :lps:  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:05:13 PM by Matronblatzbarg » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 03:16:25 PM » Author: Rommie
I shouldn't think there will be a problem, but my instinct would be to pack them in your hand luggage rather than hold baggage. Holds are mostly pressurised to the same level as the cabin, but having seen how baggage handlers throw cases around, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Also make sure you explain it to the guys on security at the x-ray machine. Tell them that you are a collector and you are taking them home from your brother's place and that they're not commercial items.

I believe you are on 230V 50Hz there, so ballasts are readily available on eBay, but international shipping is usually the killer here. I don't know about running them on fluorescent ballasts, I have never tried it as I have the proper gear and I don't much like experimenting with things like this, I always do my utmost to run lamps on the correct gear whenever possible.

You probably already know this, but never run a SOX lamp cap down, the sodium can get behind the electrodes and do all sorts of nasty things  :poof:

Let us know how you get on  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:12:14 AM » Author: Medved
The air pressure is no problem, even when it would be really outside, there is rather hard vacuum inside the lamps anyway. And (except for bombers, there only the cockpit capsule is pressurized, or the crew is just using auxiliary oxygen) the cargo area is pressurized the same way as cabin, mainly because the flat floor won't be able to hold any pressure difference between cabin and cargo/luggage areas.

The main problem/risk when taking it to the cabin is to convince security staff so they allow it there.
Really carefully check the rules - if there isn't any provision about things that may become dangerous even when broken, plus if sodium is not banned (as mercury is even with the smallest quantity; because mercury can start very fast unstoppable aluminum corrosion; mercury of an amount same as the sodium in SOX would definitely be off limits for normal air transport)...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 02:05:13 PM » Author: Rommie
You need to make it clear (with documentation if possible) that metallic sodium is not a serious risk and is not like mercury (although I sometimes think people give mercury super-powers and call out the hazmat team when they break a CFL  ::))

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 02:51:06 PM » Author: Medved
although I sometimes think people give mercury super-powers and call out the hazmat team when they break a CFL  ::)

Breaking a single CFL indeed does nothing, it is the waste from 1000's lamps what becomes the problem.

But the problem with mercury and airplanes has nothing to do with its toxicity. In the contrary, it has a lot of to do with the very low mercury reactivity even when liquid, beside dissolving metals. In fact any inert liquid metal will present the same problem:
Many metals very like to dissolve each other, when they have the chance to move around in their pure form, mainly when they alone do not exhibit that high melting point and one of them is already liquid.
So when the Hg comes into contact with a clean aluminum, it starts to dissolve it. Because the Hg is rather non reactive with oxygen, it remains clean on its surface. So when some other metal, like the aluminum is dissolved in it, such metal becomes exposed as well. And because the aluminum is very reactive with the oxygen, it immediately starts to oxidize there. That oxidation makes a crust, which because not supported, immediately turns into dust. Because that means aluminum gets lost from the Hg, it allows more aluminum to get dissolved and the cycle repeats over and over, till the Hg does not get somehow inhibited. And because Hg is rather inert and even does not evaporate that fast, it does not happen that soon even with a small drop of mercury And because that dust is insoluble in virtually anything, it remains on the surface. And because it is a dust, it lets the air, with the oxygen, pass through, to continue supporting the oxidation.
Now because being so reactive, Al normally is not clean, but always has a very hard coat of oxide layer which stops the further oxidation. But that layer is rather brittle and because the aluminum is rather soft, it tends to break. Again, normally with aluminum in normal environment, like air or water, new oxide reforms practically instantly, so macroscopically nothing happens. But once that scratch forms under a drop of mercury, the "show" starts and mercury starts to act like the catalyst allowing the aluminum to continually oxidize through without the oxide layer ever stopping it.
And why it is so big problem with aircrafts? Because in most of them aluminum is used for most of the structural components (although in modern jets it is on many places getting replaced by various laminates). So even a small Hg spill may easily start quite severe destruction, practically ruining a nearly-billion$ worth aircraft within a year or so, so within few percents of its designed life. And on top of that because the mercury is electrically conductive, the common aluminum structure inspection methods using eddy currents won't show that damage in time.
For this risk, the Hg has to be in the liquid form. So most fluorescents are safe: The Hg is there already in a solid amalgam, so it is not liquid (a necessary condition for that damage type). Plus really small quantities (talking about quantities like the mg dose in fluorescents) will evaporate and vent out before it reaches any structural part. But gram quantities start to be a problem when they reach some critical component (where is not that much material to eat before it becomes too weak to be safe), definitely amount of a comparable volume like there is of the Na in the SOX would be quite a risk.

Same as mercury, other metals (or alloys, liquid at room temperature), like Gallium, are for that same reason very risky as well, but not that potent as the Hg (because of so low melting point of Hg), plus mainly unlike the mercury, those metals were never used so widely in things for general public as the Hg was.
Sodium is safe from this perspective (not from the eventual fire hazard of course), as first it is solid at room temperature, so can not work in that cycle, plus it is very reactive, so will oxidize by itself, so nothing will remain to cause any damage to the aircraft aluminum parts.

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 12:25:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Just to close this thread out, we're relieved that you got your SOX lamps safely into the country.  :lps: :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Matronblatzbarg

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a Sox lamp « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 01:30:44 PM » Author: Matronblatzbarg
Just to close this thread out, we're relieved that you got your SOX lamps safely into the country.  :lps: :lps:

Yes! And now I can run them safely with that Sox gear that I got.  :D :lps:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies