Author Topic: 3 way CFL making weird noises!  (Read 3662 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

3 way CFL making weird noises! « on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:36 PM » Author: lightman64
Today I went to turn on the 3-way CFL in my Living Room lamp and on the lowest setting it started to make a crackling/popping noise. I immediately removed it and replaced it with a regular 3-way bulb. What is happening? 

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:01 PM » Author: FGS
Good thing you did! What you described doesn't sound good at all! Better not use that lamp anymore. Dunno why it made those noise you mentioned.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Mr. Big
Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:27 PM » Author: Mr. Big
It's junk and garbage, your ballast is going bad, use incandescents, not CFLs!
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25:54 PM » Author: icefoglights
Now what you do is put it in a junker lamp, take it to the middle of the concrete driveway (away from anything that will burn) and turn it back on and see what happens  ;)

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:41:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I agree with the others the ballast in the lamp is probably going bad and might pop soon.

Good thing you were there to turn it off and take it out of service.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:45:35 AM » Author: Medved
I think the lamp died and the ballast just follow. The root cause for short lamp life might be, then the ballast does not properly heat electrodes on dimmed setting (= design flaw of the ballast). In the fluorescent lamp the arc heat electrodes correctly only on full power, on dimmed setting electrodes need additional heating, otherwise the discharge goes to cold-cathode mode and sputter off the emissive material from the electrodes.

No more selfballasted c***

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: 3 way CFL making weird noises! « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:41:40 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I have installed a CFL 3-way lamp in my living room 3-way lamp because the lamp is base-up. I replaced the lamp 5 times in 1 1/2 year before putting the CFL. It's a GE and works fine.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies