Author Topic: Why do utility companies rarely share wires?  (Read 1043 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Why do utility companies rarely share wires? « on: September 28, 2021, 08:13:30 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Usually when I cross into another power company’s territory I see the original lines deadend before the lines of the other company begins. I also notice they rarely share poles. I’ve seen only a few instances where the lines cross or poles are shared. Anyone know why this is? Is it because the electricity for the different companies is “different”?

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Gearjammer
Re: Why do utility companies rarely share wires? « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:29 PM » Author: Gearjammer
The two main reasons for this is

1. Power companies, unless they are part of a cooperative, are private businesses and therefore they don't connect their lines with another.

2. Different companies may have lines operating at different voltages so unless the companies want to share the expense of installing transformers the lines can't be tied together.

Here in Florida, the largest power company, Florida Power and Light, is a private company but they do buy and sell electricity with other companies including those in Georgia.

FPL is also one of the few private power companies that owns their own generating plants.
Smaller companies usually have to buy their electricity from a larger firm like FPL.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do utility companies rarely share wires? « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:43:49 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
The two main reasons for this is

1. Power companies, unless they are part of a cooperative, are private businesses and therefore they don't connect their lines with another.

2. Different companies may have lines operating at different voltages so unless the companies want to share the expense of installing transformers the lines can't be tied together.

Here in Florida, the largest power company, Florida Power and Light, is a private company but they do buy and sell electricity with other companies including those in Georgia.

FPL is also one of the few private power companies that owns their own generating plants.
Smaller companies usually have to buy their electricity from a larger firm like FPL.
That makes sense. The instances I've seen where the lines tie together or share poles is with NHE co-op and Eversource, the larger firms here. I'm not sure but I think all of the companies here own their generators.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do utility companies rarely share wires? « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:44:33 PM » Author: Rommie
All the power distribution network here is centrally controlled. Although there are several private suppliers who you actually buy your electricity from.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do utility companies rarely share wires? « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 06:35:17 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
All the power distribution network here is centrally controlled. Although there are several private suppliers who you actually buy your electricity from.
There's a similar scenario up here in the northeast, lots of transmission networks come in from Canada and gets distributed amongst multiple companies.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies