Author Topic: Purple street lights?  (Read 2682 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Purple street lights? « on: October 09, 2021, 08:18:36 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Near and in Tampa Florida i see occasional LED street lights that are white with purple hue, white with blue hue, or just straight up purple or blue. any reason why i’m seeing these streetlights
if you see these from where you’re at just say so.

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 08:38:21 PM » Author: Bulbman256
They are led lights that have had the phosphors degrade on them and change color. :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:38:33 PM » Author: sol
I believe this happens if the first component to reach EOL is the phosphor in the diodes. Definitely not normal nor a desired operation of street lighting.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 02:38:16 AM » Author: Medved
It could be also sign of the LEDs overheating (blue LED wavelength shifts to longer, where the phosphor is less efficient; plus the hot phosphor shifts its response too), mainly when it happens on new installation. Usual cause is lousy assemble (improper heat sink attachment) and often lousy thermal design in general (too high power crammed into too small lantern, with inadequate ventilation,...)

No more selfballasted c***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 07:31:06 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yep, recently AEL has been having issues with their autobahns turning purple. All over North and South Carolina and now Florida apparently.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:07:18 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
This looks to be a sign of poor quality control and not enough life testing.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:31:53 AM » Author: AngryHorse
This is somewhat confusing to me, as what the US call the AEL Autobahns we know as Holophanes Factor, and the nearest Factor installation to me is well over 8 years old now, and every single one is still running perfectly!
I’m guessing the components must be different to what AEL are using?, I’ve yet to see a Holophane Factor installation here turn purple yet?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 10:42:22 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It could be down to the extremes of temperature they get in the States.  :wndr:

Having the Gulf Stream flowing along our coast means that we don't get it here.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 11:52:18 AM » Author: Medved

Or it could even be the UK types do not install as high power as it is common in the US...

No more selfballasted c***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 01:37:40 AM » Author: Econolite03
Saw some purple lights when driving by the AES plant in Long Beach, CA. I found a whole row of AEL ATB0s lighting a ramp along the side the plant that had turned partially or totally purple. Spooky man, it’s appropriate since we’re near Halloween I guess. They should have stuck with the 70s M-250As instead.
 :eoled:
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 03:03:53 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
This is somewhat confusing to me, as what the US call the AEL Autobahns we know as Holophanes Factor, and the nearest Factor installation to me is well over 8 years old now, and every single one is still running perfectly!
I’m guessing the components must be different to what AEL are using?, I’ve yet to see a Holophane Factor installation here turn purple yet?
Do they also have the round style heads too? Here they use LEDs made by Lumileds, a Philips company.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 03:56:09 PM » Author: AngryHorse
No, not seen any rounded types here yet?, just the small and large Factors, along with Holophanes V-Max and S-Lines

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 05:30:27 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
No, not seen any rounded types here yet?, just the small and large Factors, along with Holophanes V-Max and S-Lines
Oh. Here’s a pic of one, just like the square ones they have an extra small, small, medium, and Large model. The one I posted is the extra small model.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 05:49:07 AM » Author: AngryHorse
No we don’t have anything like this, though Holophane here does have round high mast lanterns, but their quite big compared to a road lantern.

Welcome to OBLIVION

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Purple street lights? « Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 12:13:38 PM » Author: Lumex120
I just find it interesting how this problem seems to affect so many made over the past few years, but it only seems to have shown up this year. In my city there's a road with a ton of ATB2s that were a new installation in 2017, and they kept their 3000k color up until June of this year and now more than half of them are turning purple.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies