Author Topic: Light-color 927  (Read 7463 times)
Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
Light-color 927 « on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:38 PM » Author: Prismatic
Will it be realistic to have this light-color available in the future? Does anyone know if the lighting-companies are working and/or developing on this light color?

I know that efficiency won't be as good compared to 827 but for domestic lighting people will need the best CRI after banning incandescents...

Prismatic@YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/slprismatic

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:53:41 PM » Author: Medved
It is realistic and known technology, but there is no demand, so no products. But if you don't mind, /930 is already offered by at least Osram ("LUMILUX DE LUXE" family; they offer 930, 940 and 954) and Philips ("TL-D 90 de luxe" family; they offer 930, 940, 950 and 965) for most common sizes (in T8 15, 18, 36, 58W at least - i looked only to first page of their catalogues)

No more selfballasted c***

Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:37:45 PM » Author: Lumalux
I'm curious what the color temp and CRI are for the new GE Reveal CFLs.  Color temp appears to be around 3000K and CRI near or over 90.  They are dramatically better than conventional 2700K and 3000K CFLs.

I so hope GE expands the Reveal brand to include linear fluorescents.  I think this new phosphor will easily turn the tide towards better acceptance of fluorescent light sources as replacements for incandescent.

Does anyone have any technical information on these lamps?

I am currently using several of these in table lamps around the house and the light quality is virtually identical to that of an incandescent soft white or Reveal bulb.
Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:21:56 AM » Author: Prismatic
One thing I've noticed with the 930's is, that they only reach Energy Label - EEI "B" which means, that they will be also banned here in Europe. Only Energy Label "A" light-source will remain. Since September, all light-sourcec which are frosted (and I guess a fluorescent-tube is frosted) and doesn't reach Energy Label "A" are banned...

Prismatic@YouTube:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:20:23 PM » Author: Medved
As far as i know, lamps WORSE THEN "B" will be banned, not "B and worse".
But one funny thing:
All /9xx liner fluorescents are rated "B", but most of them still have higher efficacy then most "A" rated CFL's...

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:00 PM » Author: Medved
Yes, that's what i understood. After 2016 only "A" and "B" would be allowed...

I'm not an European, but from what I understand, lamps with a "C" rating will also be allowed until 2016. These are halogens with a 25% energy saving.

Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:56 PM » Author: Prismatic
Thats correct for clear incandescent lamps - but for "frosted" lamps only "A" classified are allowed since this september. For example a philips 40 watt softone lamp - and fluorescent lamps are also not clear - the glas looks like the softone, the could also be banned if not classified as "A". But no one knows it exactly - at least we have that law now  ???

Prismatic@YouTube:

sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 05:49:52 PM » Author: sparkie
fluorescent lamps are also not clear - the glas looks like the softone, the could also be banned if not classified as "A".

There is a major difference between the coating of a incandescent bulb and that of a fluorescent tube, that is in a bulb it is there purely for decorative purposes - and slightly reduces the efficiency of the lamp by absorbing some light.
The coating of a fluorescent tube is there to produce the(visible)light, without it all you would get is a dull blue glow, with no efficiency whatsoever.

The efficiency of a fluorescent lamp is governed mainly by the control gear it is operating on, so for example a fixture with an 'A' rated tube will not be performing at this efficiency if it has 'B' rated ballast.

No fluorescent tubes will be banned, whatever their colour. However it is likely that control gear with efficiency less than 'A' will be prohibited in not too distant future.
The main thing this will mean for us is that we will no longer be able to get conventional coil ballasts, only the electronic high frequency ones will be available.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:11 PM » Author: Medved
This is technically right, but the question is, how this would be presented by lawmakers. And they are (at least in Europe) so corrupted, then they will even make statement "The grass is blue" as a law...

fluorescent lamps are also not clear - the glas looks like the softone, the could also be banned if not classified as "A".

There is a major difference between the coating of a incandescent bulb and that of a fluorescent tube, that is in a bulb it is there purely for decorative purposes - and slightly reduces the efficiency of the lamp by absorbing some light.
The coating of a fluorescent tube is there to produce the(visible)light, without it all you would get is a dull blue glow, with no efficiency whatsoever.

The efficiency of a fluorescent lamp is governed mainly by the control gear it is operating on, so for example a fixture with an 'A' rated tube will not be performing at this efficiency if it has 'B' rated ballast.

No fluorescent tubes will be banned, whatever their colour. However it is likely that control gear with efficiency less than 'A' will be prohibited in not too distant future.
The main thing this will mean for us is that we will no longer be able to get conventional coil ballasts, only the electronic high frequency ones will be available.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:42:23 AM » Author: lightman64
Interesting post, but I don't understand the "827" number thing. What does it mean?
Also, could someone define the Energy Class Ratings, like A,B, and C. (and so on...)
Thanks!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:38:08 PM » Author: FGS
Interesting post, but I don't understand the "827" number thing. What does it mean?
Also, could someone define the Energy Class Ratings, like A,B, and C. (and so on...)
Thanks!

The number 8 is the second digit of the CRI. It ranges from 80 to 89. The 27 is the last two digits of the color temperature. Complete number is 2700K.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 12:49:25 PM » Author: lightman64
Cool!  ;D What about the energy class thing?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:58:54 PM » Author: Medved
This is system for color quality rating for general lighting (so wide spectrum) light sources, it is standardized in ISO.
First digit mean 10's of CRI (CRI is divided by 10 and rounded down)
Second ant thrid digit is correlated color temperature in 100's Kelvins
So e.g.:
"Cool white" fluorescent lamp with color temperature 4100 and CRI 65 would have color rating "641".
HPS with color temperature 2000K and CRI 20 would have rating "220", clear MV (5600K, CRI 15) would have "156". In praxis, for such low CRI lamps this system is not used, as nearly all HPS and all clear MV's hev their well known colors, so it is enough to say "HPS" or "MV"...

Similarly the incandescent lamp (so CRI nearly 100) with filament temperature 2700K would have rating "927". OK, this rating system is not used on incandescent, as ther CRI is due to their principle always nearly 100 (not exactly, as there is always "some" filterring effect of the filling gas and the glass bulb).

So this thread is about fluorescent lamps with light quality equivalent to incandescents.

Thanks!

The number 8 is the second digit of the CRI. It ranges from 80 to 89. The 27 is the last two digits of the color temperature. Complete number is 2700K.

Kappa7

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 03:17:27 PM » Author: Kappa7
Osram make a new color temperature for its CFL, 825 insted of 827.
They look very similar to the incandescent bulbs. I've bought an Osram dulux intelligent facility of 18W (it's a very good cfl, it can be switched on-off unlimited times and has a rapid run up time thanks to the powerboost circuit) with this color temperature. I like it, very warm and pleasant light.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light-color 927 « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:28:08 PM » Author: Medved
Osram make a new color temperature for its CFL, 825 insted of 827.
They look very similar to the incandescent bulbs. I've bought an Osram dulux intelligent facility of 18W (it's a very good cfl, it can be switched on-off unlimited times and has a rapid run up time thanks to the powerboost circuit) with this color temperature. I like it, very warm and pleasant light.

Yes, but this is too yellow, it is like underdriven incandescent...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies