Author Topic: why do you like lights so much?  (Read 2106 times)
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

why do you like lights so much? « on: October 25, 2021, 04:14:52 PM » Author: RadxD461
I like HID lamps because of the way they start up and make light. I also love the science and electrical behind them.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 04:36:43 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
So do we, I would add LPS to the list, as their warm up sequence is truly wonderful.  :love: :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 04:45:08 PM » Author: Econolite03
Why? It’s because I used to take light bulbs out of the table lamps wherever I went when I was little.

Now on Linktree

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:55:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ah, but did you put them back.. :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 05:13:17 PM » Author: thelightingman
For me it's because I saw a video of a streetlight and I thought to myself that it would be cool to have one so I started looking and I discovered the world of collecting lights and so I decided to start collecting myself. I also enjoy how they work, it's very neat.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 05:14:57 PM » Author: RadxD461
For me it's because I saw a video of a streetlight and I thought to myself that it would be cool to have one so I started looking and I discovered the world of collecting lights and so I decided to start collecting myself. I also enjoy how they work, it's very neat.
that's sort of the same story with me!
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 05:15:44 PM » Author: RadxD461
So do we, I would add LPS to the list, as their warm up sequence is truly wonderful.  :love: :lps:
I 100,000 % totally agree with that! :o
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 07:09:52 PM » Author: Econolite03
@Mandolin Girl: Nah, I kept them instead.
 8;)

Now on Linktree

RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:58 PM » Author: RadxD461
@Mandolin Girl: Nah, I kept them instead.
 8;)
did your parents  :slap: you?  :wndr:
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 08:19:55 PM » Author: Econolite03
I got away with it.

Now on Linktree

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I can't say "why", because I just don't know why.....
All I know is:  I just "have always liked lights". In particular Christmas lights, & fluorescent lights.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

waterbug

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 10:58:17 PM » Author: waterbug
Discharge lamp lover checking in...

Well, I just find them fascinating especially their working principle, they creates an amazingly nostalgic atmosphere that feels like a time warp into the past, I guess they starting out with dull faint glow and then taking time to warm up to full brightness have a lot to do with it, it's a gradually disappearing characteristics that we no longer see in modern street lighting anymore.

:lps: being my all time favorite
:mv: comes in second
:hps: #3
:a_mh: #4

|
|
|
|
|
V
:eoled: #49
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 06:05:13 AM » Author: Rommie
@ waterbug - pretty much the same order as you, except I would add  :sli: and  :lps: joint first, :hps: second, and then  :mv: after that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:07:28 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

waterbug

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 10:32:05 AM » Author: waterbug
@ waterbug - pretty much the same order as you, except I would add  :sli: and  :lps: joint first, :hps: second, and then  :mv: after that.
I would kill to have a linear :sli: lol

I actually saw the Osram 200W going for $100, that's for the lamp alone, shipping most likely will cost me another $40-50 I may or may not receive the lamp in one piece. And then with all the gears I have I'm not sure if I could run it without damaging it, on James site there is infos about this particular lamp requires 2.3amp, so if I combined two 90W SOX ballast 0.94A, so that will get me close to 2A, or better yet an 125W mercury choke with 1.10A in series with the 90W SOX 0.94A, that's what I got anyway, and then I still need to order the Philips SX73 ignitor.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: why do you like lights so much? « Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 11:21:15 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, the ballast for the 200W SLI/H is almost impossible to get, but if you can get a 140W lamp, that will run from a 90W SOX leak transformer  :sli:

Are you looking at the German 200W lamp..? That one runs at 2.3A but the British ones run at 1.55 to 1.6A.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:25:49 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies