Author Topic: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare?  (Read 2192 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « on: October 31, 2021, 02:47:37 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
On average, how long does it take for banned and discontinued lighting products such as lamps, ballasts, and fixtures to be considered 'rare'?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 04:41:04 AM » Author: funkybulb
This ome is a very lenthy subject here as there are too many verables in each lamp types

Let start with circlark fixtures there are many Fixtures out there that needed lamps,  the lamo became unavailble thar people rip out there
 Light and trashed them making fixture as equally as rare.  And this is what happening to last of F90T17 fixtures as lamp dried up in 2012.  GE with no warning that these lamp going out of production
 And as supply of lamps dewindles with in two years lamp became scarces,  but u  can still find ballast and starters.

Now T12 and T8 there are still millions of ballast out there and we also have supply of lamps.  As long as these lamp are in production
 There here to stay,  but electronic ballast replace the magnetic ballast.

Now mercury ballast been banned since 2008
 Stock of them is starting to dewindle and getting more expensive
  As time goes on,  and there still bunch of vintage stock lamps tucked away.  So is spare ballast.  But stock is starting to dry up
As time pass on.  But as collector we know there other ballast
 To use.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 10:30:00 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I don't think there is one answer. It depends factors like how popular was the lamp at the point it was discontinued/banned, is there direct replacement that wasn't discontinued,

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 03:53:56 PM » Author: Foxtronix
After something like 15 years or so into this hobby, I've noticed that the more common a lamp is in its heyday, the quicker it becomes rare when its manufacturing is stopped. I've seen the strangest lamps collecting dust for decades. A plain old F40T12? Good luck finding a working one from the 1940s!

A recent example of that is a 8mm projector I recently purchased. It uses a DJL lamp which is stupidly expensive compared to many if not most other projector lamps. My guess is that projectors using DJL lamps were extremely popular, making this specific lamp a high demand model, driving its price up.

Offer & demand even applies to collectable lamps I guess!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 08:54:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
I noticed this to be the case too. NOS examples of common lamps like household incandescents, 4ft fluorescents are hard to find but the less common lengths seem to be easier to find NOS. Someone mentioned direct replacements being available too, someone with a fixture designed for discontinued PG17 might have opted to switch to VHO which is a direct replacement instead of trying to find NOS PG17 lamps to relamp with.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 12:23:09 AM » Author: takemorepills
I'd say, all things considered, an "average" time frame would be 25+ years. Really depends though.
However, when something is obsoleted or banned, it usually goes through several stages of availability (to the collector):

early stage: dirt cheap and available in huge quantities

moribund stage: items end up tucked away in warehouses, stock rooms, someone's garage....out of sight, out of mind. Value can be "fair" at this point, if someone puts it up for sale.

estate stage: someone died, a business dies, etc and the items get dumped on the market, and suddenly some almost rare stuff ends up on the market for fairly cheap/reasonable because the estate people don't care, just want it gone.

rare stage: all occurrences of previous stores have been cleared out, most items end up in land fill, a few end up with collectors. Now it's rare.

This has been my experience with collecting lighting. Of course it all depends on how common or prolific something was, there's some lights that were "rare" when new, like those CRT light bulbs, and they fade into obscurity the fastest.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 01:03:37 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Yes stuff like LED L prize,  CRT lamps,  stuf  that were low in production numbers is always hard to find or get.  Good example of this would be westinghouse Econ Nova these are rarest of all CFLs
 As westinghouse Made then for 18 months.  Until philips took over as philips shot that production down for SL18s  on the other hand I owned worse ever CFL ever made also now became rare.
 For lamps u need to know manufacturing side of things.
  For example there are tons and tons of Old School F40CW out there and still tucked away some where, as many can still be found
Here and there those F40CWs been banned in 1995.  But with aid m of fluorescent rips outs and people gettng rid of there stock of tubes
 Cause they no longer need them.  In 15 years it would really be hard to find as new collector standpoint.   In mean time electronic ballast can only lasf so long as has a shelf life.  But magnetic ballast can do better.  In future too keep these vintage lamps going,  be better start going beyond and learn how to make ballast for lamps as well.  The demand will drop so low to point those ebay sellers are going just throw them out or recycle them,  then ballast for fluorescents become rare.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 03:36:35 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, SOX in North America is another good example of something that has become a bit rare to find fairly quickly. Ever since the lamps and ballasts were discontinued, the costs to obtain them on eBay shot up quite significantly compared to when they were still made. In areas where SOX was more abundant, like in parts of Canada or in some parts of California it seems you might be able to score SOX lamps at a cheap price but elsewhere you're probably stuck paying eBay prices for them.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 12:15:39 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As so many have said it all comes down to how wide spread was the lamp used when it was in service.?

One that could be seen everywhere will be knocking around for years to come.

A lamp or fixture that was rare when it was in service will become even rarer after it has been discontinued.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 02:52:16 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Will European T8 fluorescent tubes become “rare” in less than 10 years after the 2023 ban? I am being told to regulate my spending since getting all the banned tubes would take up so much space.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 04:57:06 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Well, looking how it is now, I'd say yes.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 12:52:48 AM » Author: Michael
The Philips TLM lamps with colour 830 have been discontinued three years ago. One cannot find them anymore anywhere...
I’m lucky enough to have one and a half box of NOS tubes but I would need another full box of the 40W tubes if I install another fluorescent street lights around me.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 12:57:24 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is some existing stock of Philips TL-M 40w/830 tubes:

https://www.lampbelgie.be/en/philips-tl-m-rs-40w-830-1214-cm.html

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 10:57:02 PM » Author: 108CAM
An example from Australia is bulbs and tubes made by ELMA. Although ELMA was in operation for almost 100 years, bulbs and tubes made there are quickly becoming harder and harder to find because the bulbs have burnt out or have been replaced CFLs & LEDs during the Government's many rounds of free lighting upgrades that began when incandescent bulbs were banned in the mid 2000's.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: How long does it take for discontinued lamps lighting products to become rare? « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 02:33:14 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I'd say about 20 years. The Philips SL, for example, was the best-selling compact fluorescent lamp in China in the 1990s, but was all but extinct by the 2010s. There are also inductive ballasts, which generally become rare after 20 years of production in China, and will almost disappear after 30 years

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies