Author Topic: Any way to get Merc Ballast?  (Read 4572 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Any way to get Merc Ballast? « on: October 03, 2009, 06:46:27 PM » Author: lightman64
Now with the ballast ban in effect, does anyone know a site or store where merc ballasts can still be found?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:23:05 AM » Author: Medved
I think the only option would be looking for MH ballast with similar charactertistcics and in case of Pulse start disabling the ignitor...

No more selfballasted c***

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:49:31 AM » Author: Silverliner
eBay. Or in the case of 175-1000w lamps, you can use a probe start MH ballast.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:15:17 AM » Author: Medved

Probe start MH ballasts are getting banned too.
But 100W MV run OK on 70W pulse-start MH (~0.95A), 175W MV on 150W MH (~1.75A), 40W MV on 35W MH (~0.5A), etc (look for lamp current)... And of course (again), the ignitor has to be disabled.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:33:58 AM » Author: lightman64
I am getting a 100w Metal Halide fixture soon that's ignitor died. What kind of Merc lamps can it run?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:47 AM » Author: Medved
I am getting a 100w Metal Halide fixture soon that's ignitor died. What kind of Merc lamps can it run?

It should deliver 1.15A, so 125W mercury vapor...

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:11:33 PM » Author: Silverliner
Fixtures with probe start MH ballasts have already been banned in the USA but replacement ballasts won't be banned, because of UL safety issues in converting existing fixtures to pulse start MH ballasts.

Probe start MH ballasts are getting banned too.
But 100W MV run OK on 70W pulse-start MH (~0.95A), 175W MV on 150W MH (~1.75A), 40W MV on 35W MH (~0.5A), etc (look for lamp current)... And of course (again), the ignitor has to be disabled.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:12 AM » Author: Medved
Fixtures with probe start MH ballasts have already been banned in the USA but replacement ballasts won't be banned, because of UL safety issues in converting existing fixtures to pulse start MH ballasts.

Knowing reasoning of these legislators and mainly the lobbying around, they would ban it soon anyway, with the argument saying "so replace the fixture"... But this is a bit out of topic... :-)

RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 12:11:50 AM » Author: RichD
eBay. I got one there. Cheap!
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 09:29:59 AM » Author: don93s

It should deliver 1.15A, so 125W mercury vapor...

I have found that a 100w MV will run on either 100w MH ballast or 70w MH ballast. The 70w will under-run a little (.75a) and the 100w will over-run a little (1.15a). I have run the 100w MH ballast into 100w MV lamp for over two years and still working perfect.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:31:55 AM by don93s » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:49 PM » Author: Medved

I have found that a 100w MV will run on either 100w MH ballast or 70w MH ballast. The 70w will under-run a little (.75a) and the 100w will over-run a little (1.15a). I have run the 100w MH ballast into 100w MV lamp for over two years and still working perfect.
Where you come to the number 0.75A for MH70W, what OCV had the ballast? As far as i know 70W pulse start (C)MH are 0.98..1A, the number vary, as the exact current depend slightly on actual lamp voltage and wattage (even if all are rated as "70W", some are actually 75W) and . Taking this dependence into account (230V serial reactor or 120V HX autotransformer), you end up on ~0.9..0.95A (or 100W delivered) to ~115V arc.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 07:01:32 PM » Author: don93s

Where you come to the number 0.75A for MH70W, what OCV had the ballast? As far as i know 70W pulse start (C)MH are 0.98..1A, the number vary, as the exact current depend slightly on actual lamp voltage and wattage (even if all are rated as "70W", some are actually 75W) and . Taking this dependence into account (230V serial reactor or 120V HX autotransformer), you end up on ~0.9..0.95A (or 100W delivered) to ~115V arc.

Some of the 100w MV lamps I have actually run up to over 130v (one goes up to 135v) while others as low as 115v, so I should say it varies between .75a and .80a. I just tested a lamp and the reading was 122v @ ,80a. The 70w ballast OCV is about 250v. I measure current with my Fluke 79 III True RMS. Now I realize that even a true RMS won't be perfect accuracy with HID lamp currents, but I have found over time with many tests and comparisons, etc, that it is reasonably close.

Interesting to add, with these same tests, I have found some HX-NPF 100w MV ballasts to run 100w MV lamps as high as 1.15a....same as the 100w MH ballasts! Another 100w MV ballast I just received runs lamps at .85a, so quite a variation.
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:08:14 PM » Author: tmcdllr
If you want a new, true merc ballast search the net. Some sites still have stock of them but you have to really look and they can be pricey. I found a couple of sites that still have 50, 75, and 100 watt merc ballasts. One of the sites is selling them for $121! Besides that, do as suggested. Currently, I think someone on eBay is selling an H38 ballast for cheap and it's slightly used. But hey, if it works and it's cheap then go for it. What would happen if you tried to 'import' one would that be smuggling?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:11:57 PM by tmcdllr » Logged

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 11:44:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've seen MV ballasts pop up from time to time on ebay in both NOS and used condition. I also think some electrical supply stores should still have some MV ballasts in stock. Or you could try and find a MV fixture from hardware stores which may still have MV fixtures stocked before the ban  and pull the ballast from that. If don't mind used ballasts you could check used building material stores for old MV fixtures. For those not afraid of getting caught smuggling you could drive up to Canada and buy one here since they're not banned up here. 
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any way to get Merc Ballast? « Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:26:41 AM » Author: tmcdllr
See what this stupid ban caused... now people are going to smuggle them in from Canada. Way to go stupid government, while you are at it, why don't you stick your head up farther!

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies