Author Topic: Highbay Flare Up!  (Read 2111 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Highbay Flare Up! « on: October 05, 2009, 08:54:32 PM » Author: lightman64
I was in my church's gym the other day with the 1000 watt MH/Merc high bays and a weird thing happened. It was during a storm and the power went out. I went in the electrical room(friends with the coaches) and turned off the lights. Soon the power came back on. When it did, I went to fire up the lights and everything was normal(the fixtures were warming up as usual) when all of a sudden I heard a "whoosh" noise and when I looked to see what was making the sound one of the highbays was shooting flames!  :o   Within a few seconds, the flames stopped and then the light went out. I then notified the coach and he reported it to the custodians to fix. ( maybe I can get the bulb if they change it!) What happened? My guess is the ballast took a dump. Any guesses? 

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Mr. Big
Re: Highbay Flare Up! « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:03 PM » Author: Mr. Big
More then likely something happened that shorted the ballast during the storm, I've seen an HPS ballast catch on fire from a shorted ballast before! is the lamp still intact?
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Highbay Flare Up! « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:23:43 PM » Author: lightman64
Yes the lamp is still there. I hope to get it when the fixture is fixed! 1970's 1000 watt MH lamp.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Highbay Flare Up! « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:39:46 PM » Author: KEDER
how many highbays are in there?
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Highbay Flare Up! « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:15 PM » Author: lightman64
20, 5 on each bank, with 4 bank(rows). Always fun to start up, you have to pull these big breaker switches. Pretty colors too!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Highbay Flare Up! « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:52:30 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
It's very highly likely, like 99.9% likely a 1970s MH lamp is long gone, since older MH lamps didn't last as long as the today's ones. So the MH lamp you saw in there is probably a newer lamp. Also in the 70s highbays were still mostly MV. They may have also been converted. Even some 80s highbay and indoor fixtures were MV! My high school has a newer wing built in 1987-1988 and the new wing has some recessed square lights with clear MV lamps!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies